Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Update On Brian Wagner

The Charter Boat Captain, Brian Wagner, who went missing from his stricken vessel on Jan.4th. 2010 (Monday evening 5:30 pm) has been recovered from the icy waters of the Tangier Sound. His body was discovered by four duck hunters from Rock Hall Md. just off Wenona, about four miles from the accident scene. Danny was on Brian's boat to help transport it to Scott's Cove Marina at Deal Island from Wenona to be put into storage for the winter. On this seven mile trip up the out shore just off Deal Island the boat encountered a mechanical malfunction which resulted into Brian's fall from his boat, "The Sandra Lee"

In spite of Danny's best efforts to save his friend, Brian, because of high winds and ice forming on the boat, the attempt to save the boater failed. This resulted in to a Search and Rescue and then Search and Recovery for the missing boater by the NRP, The USCG, The DI Chance Fire and Rescue Co. 4, and many of Brian's fishing buddies, along with my children, Stev, Andrew, Debbie, and of course Danny.

Lt. Commander Scott Richardson, a long time friend, and Director of the search effort allowed me and Danny to accompany he and Srg.. Kevin Osborn on the search. We left the harbor at DI, yesterday morning on one of several DNR boats engaged in the search. When the body was discovered and we were in route, the Commander was sensitive to my son's hurting heart and requested he return to the harbor at DI before taking Brian's body on board his rescue boat to be transported to Wenona Harbor. Danny's words to his me as the Lt, Richardson was about the head back into port, "Dad, I was with Brian when we left the harbor, and I want to be with him when the bring him home!" The DNR Captain instinctively knew that this must be a part of some small measure of closure, not just for The Wagner Family, but also for my son. After he asked Danny if he was sure he would be up to the task of this mission he continued to the area where the body was located. With much compassion, and great care given by the Commander and his team, knowing that this was not just another body, but a beloved husband, father, son, brother, son in-law, nephew and wonderful friend to many who knew and loved Brian. He was gently and finally brought to the Home Port, of Wenona, of the "Sandra Lee" his beloved Charter Boat!

While much appreciation and credit is due the DRN Search Team, and duck hunters from Rock Hall for the quick success of what appeared to be a long wait for Brian's recovery, both me and my Danny knew the secret to the Miraculous Recovery., along with many others who prayed that this day would happen! Having picked up Danny at his home in Wenona, before pulling out of the drive I took my hat off, placed my hand on my son's shoulder and said this to him , "Danny, if your dad can pray with everyone else who needs help I can surely pray for and with my own son." We then prayed for A Miracle of Recover that would allow some closure for The Wagner's and also to Danny
this day!

After returning to the harbor with Brian's body I shared this prayer time experience that I had with Danny, and all agreed. especially The DNR Commander and his Staff, that this quick recover was not an accident, and that there had to be Divine Intervention. While everyone involved in the search gave a Collective Sigh of Relief when we reach port with the success of recovery, we also took the time to give thanks for The One Who Made It Happen, (The Lord Jesus) not just as a result of the Prayer Time in the truck before leaving Danny's house, but for the many many prayers that reached heaven by so many people who knew of the tragic accident.

For all who stayed in touch with me, by e-mail and phone, the encouraging words to Danny, the comfort we found in those who truly cared. and especially for your prayers for The Wagner Family, I will forever be indebted to for your support. "Prayer Changes Things" One last note of interest that I wish to pass along. I watched as my four children, Danny, Stev, Andrew and Debbie as they stood shoulder to shoulder with their dad, assuring and reassuring each other with prayer, hugs, and many "I Love You's" softly whispered to each other over the past two weeks. Because I am a firm believer in Rom. 8:28, I can take comfort in knowing, " Something Good" will result from this sad tragedy of Jan.4th. 2010. My prayers will continue for Mr. Jack and Mr. Harry, (father and father in-law respectively) and the Entire Wagner Family, especially Brian's loving wife and two children. May the wonderful memories of this good man fill each heart with warmth, comfort and love in this and every day of life's journey.

With My Love and Appreciation

Sonny Benton

7 comments:

UwillTapout said...

Thank you for sharing. This is one of the best posts Joe has had the privilege of putting up. May the Peace of God be with you.

joe holland said...

Mr. Sonny i just want to tell you that I think you are one of the most kind,caring and nicest person that I have ever met.You have touched my heart in a very special way that has never been done to me when you laid my little girl to rest.The poem that you wrote is the best thing that ive ever read and it ment the world to me.So I just want to thank you for being here in my life and for everything that you have done,and I just wanted to tell you - I Love You! Joey Holland

Jim said...

Thanks so much for sharing this, Sonny.
I know it will help a lot of us as we deal with this tragedy.
I had the privilege of working with Brian, Jack and Missy for a short time, and often remembered what great people they were.
When I had to leave, Brian told me.. "If it doesn't work out, you come right back-- you'll always have a job here."
That really stayed with me over the years-- what a great guy he was.
I'm praying for all who were touched by this tragedy. God's peace to all.

joe holland said...

and also a very special thank you to Miss Becky im sorry i wasnt here to accept the plaque in person but i truly love it and I think everyone else will enjoy it too.Once again thank you very much!! joey Holland

Pam said...

Mr. Sonny...

Thank you so much for reminding us all what a wonderful Father we have in the Lord Jesus Christ. This is a true testimony of His Devine power and goodness. May God Bless you :)

A sister in Christ

Anonymous said...

The small prayer moves a very big hand; The Lord Jesus. Bless you.

Chimera said...

The family is lucky to have you in their corner,Sonny.