Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Sunday, November 29, 2009

A Great Experience

As many of you can tell we have taken somewhat of a breather from Posting so many articles over the Thanksgiving Holiday.

The key reason for my doing so has been to spend quality time with my Family, just as many of you have done. However, there's been another side as well. I have been out ringing the bell for the Salvation Army and I have truly enjoyed meeting so many of you while doing so.

It cracks me up when someone walks up and says, "Are you that guy?" I would simply reply, I sure am. Then they'd say, let me shake your hand. I've met hundreds of people already and believe me Folks, it's MY pleasure.

One gentleman in particular shared a story with me that I'd like to share with all of you. He was telling me about World War II and how the Salvation Army gave away free coffee and donuts to the GI's but the Red Cross always charged for their coffee and donuts.

He went on to say how every single year he writes a check to the local Salvation Army but he went on to say that every single year he would write a letter to the Red Cross telling them of this story and how his money always went to the Salvation Army instead.

Mind you, both of these organizations have done fine work over the years but after today's Red Cross story it makes standing in the cold ringing a bell that much more worth it.

This week will be a difficult one for me as I will be filling in ALL of the empty slots at Sam's Club. So far, from what I can see, I'll be out there pretty much all day Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, unless some of you are interested in volunteering some of your time.

That being said, even if you'd like to come out and join me while I do so I'd be happy to discuss issues with you as you'll have my undivided attention, unless a child comes along. You see, I personally enjoy giving out free candy canes to the little ones and get more out of their little smiles than anything else I do out there.

Anyhow, (like last year) we'll provide Posts in the morning but moderation during the days I'm out there will be slower. Fortunately we have plenty of Contributors who know what I'm doing and are willing to help out whenever anything new pops up and needs to get Posted.

In the mean time, try looking at your schedule and see if you can free up some spare time to volunteer to ring the bell. It's an experience like none other.

The images below will show how full the schedule is inside the Salisbury Mall. These slots were filled quite some time ago as they are indoors and are usually the ones that get filled the fastest. However, look at the company names that have stepped up to the plate to help the Salvation Army. Perdue, Courtesy Chevrolet, The Optimist Club with Bob Caldwell, PRMC, Rotary, Bank of Delmarva, Hebron Savings Bank, WORWIC, Pepsi, the list just goes on and on. THANK YOU, ALL of you and please forgive me for not going through all of the names listed in the photos below. Please Folks, click on each image and see who is out there truly serving your community and making a difference.

There will come a time when we list ALL of these fine people and businesses as all of them deserve to be recognized. Inside or out, ringing the bell will help serve some 7,000+ Families a Christmas Dinner, toys under the tree and real HOPE knowing that others are willing to take their time, (that's all it takes) to recognize those in need while many of have the opportunity to give back.

Is it cold outside, you better believe it is. But this is so worth it. If you have children, bring them along with you as so many do. It's a great learning experience for them. Again, I can't thank you enough for your generosity of time. Together we're making a huge difference in the lives of so many that are down and out this time of year.





8 comments:

Anonymous said...

were you in the walmart parking at sunset last nite? if so, ya i saw you. :]

Anonymous said...

My Dad told me this same story many times about the Red Cross and Salvation Army. He was also in WWII and never would support anything the Red Cross was associated with but always contributed to the Salvation Army.

Anonymous said...

I'll be at the Sears location on Sat (12/5) from noon to 2:00. I'm looking forward to it and stocked up on Candy Canes!

Kimmie

From the Red Kettle Campaign said...

Joe, thank you to you and your readers for filling so many bell ringing time slots.

This is a particularly difficult year for many of our friends and neighbors and the resources and revenues of all charities that deal with human suffering are stretched thin.

There are still many time slots to fill at other kettle locations besides the ones you are posting. We are hoping that those businesses that have stepped up as well as their employees will volunteer a little more time and will also encourage their friends and neighbors to volunteer.

Don't forget The Salvation Army is ringing at all Walmarts not just Salisbury. Bell ringers are needed in Fruitland, Berlin and Pocomoke too.

Worcester County residents can also ring at Rayne's Reef in Berlin, Super Fresh in West Ocean City and Ace Hardware on Coastal Highway in Ocean City.

New locations around Salisbury include Regal Cinema and Ace Hardware (the kettle is under a portico and out of the weather).

The next 4 weeks are critical in raising funds to help fill the needs of the families, seniors, individuals and of course the hundreds of children who will receive assistance from The Salvation Army this Christmas.

The Lower Shore is known for its generous heart. God Bless Each of You for giving so freely of your time and resources to help The Salvation Army continue its mission of "Doing The Most Good".

Call 410-749-RING (7464) to volunteer. After hours, leave a message and we will call you back!

Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Why doesnt Walmart allow the bell ringers to be inside? They have those huge entrances and they could sit to the side instead of being out in the weather.

Tundra Tom said...

Politically we are far apart, but I would like to thank you for what you do, Joe. You have stood up to whoever tried to take you down and continued to report more news earlier and more in depth than the local media, both print and tv. You put out a phenomenal amount of material. And yes, you let your temper get to you once in a while and go off the deep end on a tangent, and you sometimes blur the difference between news and opinion, but, heh, so did Walter Cronkite, and I consider him a great American. Besides, this is your blog, and I recognize that. You help people find lost dogs and report animal abusers. You volunteer your time to help the community. I'd just like to thank you Joe, even though we may often disagree in print. You have earned my respect, and you deserve it from the community. Keep it coming

Anonymous said...

You are really into this bell ringing stuff. These are everywhere. Everystore. I toss a few in at one place and head to another and they are there and when you walk by an toss nothing, they look at you like cheap ass. The bell ringers have a monopoly in Salisbury.

Anonymous said...

Joe,

Saw you today at Sam's. My kids loved the candy canes. Thanks for all you do for so many causes. The Shore is a better place because of so much you do.