Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Sunday, October 26, 2008

More On The Daily Slime

"Joe

Lotsa luck with ending the Daily Times delivery! We pay by check and refused to send a new check when our subscription ended. We wrote two notes (one on the bill and the other on the bill reminder) that we were not renewing our subscription. The paper continued to come after our "last day." Not wanting something I hadn't paid for, I called the Times. Someone in the circulation department told me that when I refused to renew, my account went into a group called, "collection by carrier." The carrier had then become responsible for collecting from me. How unfair can you get? I said the carrier could not be made responsible for collecting a debt for something I had told the Times I did not want. I said that was illegal. OK, the Times stopped for about two weeks. Then I got a paper in the mailbox and a phone call, "This is the Times. Our computer tells us you just got back from your vacation and wanted your paper to start up again today. I'm calling to make sure your paper arrived." Of course, I had not been on vacation, had never said I wanted service to resume. So I explained for the tenth time that we did not want the paper but left it that I will not pay for another DT, and I advised them not to leave any more. Guess what? The paper still comes on a sporadic basis; I got one today."

OK, so this morning I went to get my paper and wouldn't you believe, it's as small as Saturdays! That's it, I'm done with them. My subscription is over. Like sale ads are supposed to make me happy.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is one bad company. I put in an online subscription to receive The Daily Times and have yet to receive the paper. Then I called, and still no Daily Times.
And then I found out about SBYnews one day through a friend I met at Sam's Club. Since finding SBYnews I have never looked back.

FACTS

Have you checked Gannett's stock price lately. Their stock value has declined more than 76% to date. People have lost millions in this company.

And have you checked The Daily Times employee turn-over rate. (Joe Cacchiolli - gone, John Vandiver - gone, Daniel Valentine - gone - I could go on and on all the way back to Mel Toadvine).

And not to mention their bias, old news, and management's alignment with special interest.

What a sham.

Anonymous said...

I've had the same experience with the DT about restarting service. I got a call that "someone" from my address had called to restart newspaper delivery. Since I'm the only one here, that was clearly an untruth. My exchange with the employee became rather frosty, and I suggested that he develop a more convincing "redelivery story" if he intended to be believed. Not five days later, I got a call from the same guy with the "your vacation is over, we restarted your paper" story. After he explained why he was calling, I asked if he remembered our previous conversation. He said, "I didn't before I dialed your number, but I do now." We'd have to be crazy to believe the "someone called from your house" and "you're back from vacation" nonsense. These are deliberate, and not very creative, lies.

Anonymous said...

just remove the box.

Anonymous said...

Write them a letter, stating that they are littering on your property and you still start charging them $100 per issue to clean up their mess. Past due invoices will incur a late charge of 1.5% per month, and the DT will be liable for any legal charges connected to collecting past due balances. Continued dumping of their unwanted papers will signify acceptance of your offer to clean up their mess. Send it certified.

Wait a month. Take pictures of the delivered papers sitting on your lawn and keep them in a box as evidence. Write a 2nd certified letter, stating that to date you have cleaned up 30 newspapers on their property. Include an invoice for $3k, and a copy of the original letter and the original delivery receipt.

Before long they will owe you thousands of dollars. This issue will be cut and dry - you should be able to collect this on your own. Especially if they do not show up to defend themselves, you win by default.

Anonymous said...

10:32
I thought of removing the box but was concerned that it might not be my property. Should I take it to the DT after I remove it or just throw it away? I don't want to be charged with vandalism or theft or something.

Anonymous said...

Remove the box and give it to your carrier. All of those papers being left are being charged to the carrier. The Daily Times doesn't give a rats ass if you want the paper or not they just deduct it from the carriers pay. They pay them 8 cents to deliver it then take back 50 cents for the paper. If I was a carrier, I'd have them in court over that 50 cents just to prove a point.

Anonymous said...

I've been through the same thing with the DT. They failed to deliver a few papers. My wife complained. They did nothing. I told her to cancel the DT and don't pay they bill. They continued to deliver the paper. I never paid another bill. I received a letter a few months later and was told I could no longer subscrice to the DT until I paid the past due bill. I've been happy ever since. I do not get the DT and they don't call to try and sign me up.

Anonymous said...

OK boys and girls, here is my experience with The Salisbury Daily Time. I subscribed to the paper for a few months when I first moved over here.

Several months after terminating the subscription the paper started appearing in my front yard. I went to delmarvnow.com and left a massage in the customer service area of the site indicating that I did not want the paper. Paper continued to appearing in my front yard.

Called the circulation number that is in the paper. Got the robo answering system and hung up. I do not leave massages on voice mail systems or use automated phone call directing systems.

Made a visit to the Salisbury Daily Time building on Carroll Street with paper in hand. Told the receptionist to tell someone that I did not want the paper delivered to my house and left the paper with the receptionist.

Paper appearing in my front yard the next day. Did the above three more times before they stopped delivering the paper.

Been more the two years sense the Salisbury Daily Time has littered my yard.


If you want a massage delivered to the power that be the best way is to delivered that massage sternly in person.

Sand Box John