Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Sam's Club

In all the years I have been shopping at Sam's Club here in Salisbury I have to admit that I have had very few bad experiences there. Granted, there are times I wished they had opened more lines but I consider myself a professional Sam's Club Shopper and I don't end up in there on days I know they're going to be blown away with customers.

Yesterday was a different story though. Much of my family are in Ocean City for the week learning what it's like to be real vacationers/tourons and having to foot a $4,000.00 a week rental bill for a small condo! Yeah, Jennifer and Joe now live in the country away from all that mess and no longer have the perfect place for everyone to visit.

Anyhow, getting back to my story. No one really wanted to head out to a restaurant last night so I stated I'd pick up a bunch of cooked chicken from Sam's Club on my way and they could get the rest. When I arrived at Sam's my worse fear happened, there were NO chickens on display! I did however notice there were some in the oven and the oven was shut down so I went over to the ringer in the meat department and rang the bell.

There were two gentlemen in the prep area and neither one seemed to hear the bell so I rang it again, nothing. The third time I held the button down and waited till someone looked out the window before I let go of the button. Finally one of these guys came to the counter and said, we're closed. I replied, there's chicken in the oven, I'd like 3 of them please. He said, "that's not my job, you'll have to get a manager." All with a severe attitude. I said, you know something PAL, you're a real nice guy.

I went over to the manager and explained what was going on and she immediately got on the phone with this same gentleman and you could clearly tell, he wasn't going to help no matter what! The next thing I knew the guy was walking off the job, he quit right there on the spot.

To make a long story short, I got my chicken but get this, it took more than 50 minutes of standing there before I ended up with them. There were at least 4 other families waiting there very patiently as well and no one could believe what was happening. Maybe you had to be there to completely understand but I had never seen so many people be so rude working at Sam's.

One of the ladies there said, they should give these to us as long as we've been waiting. For the heck of it I walked up to the manager once again and said, you do know we waited some 50 minutes just to get these chickens, right? She replied, yeah, I'm really sorry about that and walked away.

My question to all of you is, am I addicted to Sam's Club, because I know I'll be back? They could spit on me in the check out line and I think I'd have to swallow some pride and walk in the door the next day. Lord knows, they probably hawked up a good one on one of those chickens anyway. LOL

1 comment:

The Bass Player's Wife said...

It's fuuny, but DH and I were just talking about this last night. When we go "home " to visit, we are struck by the generally poor quality of service. Maybe it is because Vegas is such a service-oriented town, but we have grown accustomed to better.

We went to a local italian restaurant over the holidays and sat for 25 minutes before someone came to take our drink orders! That is worse than usual, but you can catch my drift.

The shore has so much to offer, I wonder if the service isn't part of a greater conspiracy-- you know, make people who visit feel like they don't want to come a stay?