Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Maryland Alcohol Taxes Raises $6M In First Month

Initial Estimates Said State Would Raise $85M Per Year

ANNAPOLIS, Md. -- A Maryland official estimates the state raised roughly $6 million in added revenue in July from a 50 percent increase in the state's sales tax on alcohol.


David Roose, director of the Maryland Bureau of Revenue Estimates, said Monday it's hard to tell from the first month of a new tax how much will be raised on a yearly basis.


If July turns out to be the average, it would add up to about $72 million in extra state revenue a year.
Initial estimates projected the tax would raise roughly $85 million a year.

More

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

not a nickle of it was mine. once that tax increase came into place, I made a vow to purchase all my alcohol 2 miles up the road in Delaware. I can't afford the bars anyway. Tax Free Liquors in Delmar is the best place to shop. great selection, prices, staff, and i can actually look at the bottles without having to ask a clerk behind the counter to get it.

Anonymous said...

maybe because no matter what the price, these stupid LUSHES will continue to liquor themselves up! alcohol is horrible!

Anonymous said...

I'm with 2:29.....

Anonymous said...

2:35 if you don't want to drink then don't you self righteous AHOLE! But you should condemn the tax because it will just be a matter of time before the government gets around to taxing something you use or do.

Tidewaterbound said...

Will be eagerly awaiting

September 13, 2011 2:35 PM's

response when they hike the tax on toilet paper, which they obviously need in abundance.

Anonymous said...

Ain't no such thing as "extra" revenue. You either got it or you don't.

Anonymous said...

Ok 2:35pm. I just got home and clicked on Salisbury News, and opened a beer. You will be proud of me because I had a few too many beers in Salisbury, so I took a bus home. I'AM proud of myself as well because I've never driven a bus before.