Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, February 06, 2015

Postmaster general: Agency looking for new revenue sources

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The nation's new postmaster general says the Postal Service is looking beyond its regular mail and package delivery for new sources of revenue.

That means building on what Megan J. Brennan calls its "core competency" -- the delivery of goods.

So what is the agency doing?

"We're testing grocery delivery in San Francisco," Brennan said in an interview with The Associated Press. "We're also delivering water, cases of water in Manhattan and the boroughs" of New York City.

During the 2014 holiday season, the Postal Service rolled out a new deal with Amazon to deliver packages and to expand Sunday deliveries of them.

Brennan, the first female postmaster general, is easing into her first days on the job. At age 52, she's a 29-year veteran of the Postal Service who started her career as a letter carrier in Pottsville, Pennsylvania.

"I had mentors along the way ... and I was flexible," she said. "I relocated. I took on assignments and I kept learning."

Brennan is the 74th postmaster general. Benjamin Franklin was the first.

More

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

whatever happened to the Pony Express?

Anonymous said...

How about they just stick to what they do but be the best at it!

Anonymous said...

Sell advertising space on stamps.

Anonymous said...

How about stopping the junk mail. With the huge reduction in the need for employees, we can cut the payroll dramatically and put the postal service back into the black.
Or is this just a government jobs program?

Anonymous said...

I would be beyond thrilled if the post office (Rte.50) and back-up delivery people (when my normal carrier, who is great and can actually read and deliver the mail to the correct address)would deliver my mail EVERYDAY to the CORRECT ADDRESS.

The substitute carriers simply won't read a typed address of the envelop and deliver to the correct house.

It is their FEDERAL job to deliver the mail correctly EVERYDAY not just when they feel like it.

I repeatedly call and speak with a supposedly supervisor but nothing ever gets corrected. Just hear lies and run around or a bunch of excuses. I want results not excuses.

Anonymous said...

I keep getting my neighbor's mail. Perhaps they should try and get mail delivery straightened out first.

Anonymous said...

Joe, here is an update from my 2=6= at 6:29pm-today is Saturday and guess what no mail delivered today either. Two days in a row, I called Friday to complain AGAIN, no mail, and Saturday I saw the woman substitute who gave me dirty looks, and guess what? No mail. Doesn't this sound too fishy?

I actually had a mail carrier tell me they can make the mail disappear. Can you believe it?
There are federal laws against this sort of thing.

This particular post office needs to be inspected with unannounced visits and needs to have agents following reported offenders.

There is no telling the amount of money and other things being stolen.