Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Reaching Out To The Community

Everyone always wants to see a change in the community, its time to be that change in the community! One of my friends is only 20 years old and recently started battling cancer. A couple weeks ago he started chemotherapy. He doesn't have insurance and the cost is quite high so we're asking everyone to donate your can tabs/pop tops for a good cause. They're going to take $500 off each treatment with every jug full that we can produce! I have already used facebook, twitter, and even craigslist to reach out to everyone. The response to my posts on Craigslist have been the most effective so far! If you live around Salisbury, I will be happy to meet you to pick them up. If you live farther away, you can reach me via e-mail at Britbooo@gmail.com and I can give you the address to mail them too. I'm going to get him a card and all the people that donated will have their names on the card. If I meet with you to pick them up, then I will let you sign your name on the card. If you are mailing your pop tops, please make sure your name is written somewhere on the inside or outside of the envelope so I can be sure to include your name on the card as well! We've seen quite a few events in the past few years that have made our community come together, and I'm hoping this will be one of them. My friend doesn't really know I'm doing this quite yet, but I can't wait to see his face when I go to take him all these pop tops & a big card full of names, And the even more beautiful part about it is that he is not going to know who everyone is that signed the card, but he'll see that even people he don't know were willing to help lend a hand in his fight with cancer. I've even had one person contact me that is a 50 year old cancer survivor that was diagnosed when he was 17 and he wants to donate as well. Overall, my message being, even if YOU don't have cancer, you can still help others in the battle against it! Even the littlest bit helps! & its appreciated beyond words! Thank you all for your time!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Drink up folks and save those tabs.Ours are coming to ya!

Anonymous said...

Anyone reading this who has a can soda machine at their place of employment can let everyone know and even put a bin close by the machine to collect the tabs. Or even tape a manilla envelope to the machine itself and label it "Tabs for Cancer."

Anonymous said...

I don't get it. Pop tops from cans? Are they going to recycle them? A gallon full is only worth a few dollars. Is this for real or have you been scammed Joe? I hope it's real and I will support it if it is. Just seems like a weird fundraiser. It would take a ton of tops to fill a jug. Then again all the drinkers on Delmarva...

Anonymous said...

I've been involved with fundraisers for our church youth group where we used these can tabs. We filled gallon size ziplock bags and you are correct it did take many. You would be surprised by how fast the bag fills up. I'm looking forward to doing this for someone I don't know.