Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, April 08, 2016

What Keeps Election Officials Up At Night? Fear Of Long Lines At The Polls

Election officials around the country are nervously planning how to avoid long lines at the polls this year, after voters waited for hours at some Wisconsin sites earlier this week. That came after voters in Maricopa County, Ariz., had to wait up to five hours last month, in part because the county cut back on the number of polling sites. Those delays led to raucous protests at the state capital and a voting rights investigation by the U.S. Department of Justice.

This year's unusually large voter turnout in the primaries has caught a lot of people by surprise, according to Tammy Patrick of the Bipartisan Policy Center in Washington, D.C.

"I think most election administrators worry about this, and are staying awake at night thinking about it," she said.

Patrick is a former Maricopa County election official, who also served on a presidential commission appointed after the 2012 elections to try to eliminate long lines at the polls. She's now working with election officials across the country to help them do that, and says one challenge is that voting can be unpredictable.

More

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

no excuse and certainly no need to lose sleep. why aren't you making changes to allow for the large influx of new voters? duh...

Anonymous said...

Democrats love long lines because it keeps working people from voting.

Anonymous said...

I can use Tubotax to pay my part of the IRS embezzlement scheme, but I can't vote on my computer?

I can transfer money from my checking account to my savings account, and pay my electric bill, but I can't vote on my computer?

I can apply for a loan and make payments toward the loan, but I can't vote on my computer?

So on.

Anonymous said...

441, I'm glad Maryland at least is back to paper ballots. There was way too much electronic frauds in the 2012 elections. Computers are nice, but can be hacked in a minute if the stakes are high enough.

Drew said...

Take advantage of early voting. Easiest way to vote, minimal lines if you pick your time right. Always been pleased how it works in Wicomico.

Anonymous said...

Paper ballots are stone age.

Anonymous said...

of course the lines will be long when dumbocrats are filling out 15 ballots each