Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, February 02, 2015

Your old landline could get an early retirement

Not since Alexander Graham Bell twisted pairs of wires together in the 1870s has the simple telephone technology that has served Americans for generations — the landline — faced such a threat to its existence.

It's not just that droves of customers are dropping their home phones for cellphones, or switching to newer, fiber-based services such as Verizon's FiOS network. Major telecom companies have made no secret of their desire to abandon the traditional, copper wire-based phone service.

AT&T wants to complete the switch within five years. Verizon, the dominant landline provider in Maryland, hasn't set a date.

More

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

im fine with this. as long as verizon run fiber everyplace there are copper lines

if the power goes out i can charge the cell phone in the car

Anonymous said...

I like this idea as long as AT&T and Verizon, etc... make sure that ALL areas are WELL COVERED with cell towers. I have a horrible cell signal where I live (in Salisbury), which is a residential neighborhood and not a remote area either...that is the only reason I keep a land line.

Anonymous said...

Someone needs to tell Comcast so they can remove it from the bill.

Anonymous said...

10:40 AM like that would ever happen with Comcast!

Landlines are great....they are much safer than wireless. Be careful what you wish for. In emergency, land lines are best.

Anonymous said...

I got rid of my landline when I went to Comcast, and when Comcast started charging high rates, I got a Google Voice number for free and paid $30 for a Obitalk adapter. Plugged it into my router at home and plugged my home phone into the adapter.....Free home telephone

Anonymous said...

"But how will I work my dial up?"

Anonymous said...

Curious to know how this will pan out. Have an agreement w/Verizon for $17.99 internet as long as I keep the landline. Signed up when it was unlimited time, not the 1-yr. deal that came out later.

Anonymous said...

1:24 PM it is folks like you that I love. I certainly hope you will take them to task if they try to unhook you. Don't be shocked however if they win. Use it up, wear it out, recycle, save a buck, learn to live with less. AMEN