Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

UVA Students Enter 10th Day of Hunger Strike

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. - More than a dozen students are in their tenth day of a hunger strike at the University of Virginia, as part of the Living Wage Campaign.

Students are demanding higher living wages, safer working conditions and better job security for the university's employees.

Students are asking that the living wage under University policy be changed to $13 per hour.

In an interview with thelivingwageatuva.org, striker and third-year undergraduate student Luis Oyola said after his fourth day he is getting a lot thinner and feeling a lot weaker.

More

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When I went to SU, I saw that on-campus jobs didn't pay half of diddly squat. Did I strike about it? No!

I stopped looking for on-campus jobs, and I started hitting up the restaurants along Rt 13. I researched likely check averages, looked around the inside, and chatted with people who were on the clock. I applied to my top 3 choices as a server. A week later, I came back and interviewed at 2 of those places. Both offered me a job, on the spot. I chose what I thought was the better place for me to earn money.

While I learned that this area tips lower than Annapolis, I still made at about twice what the people working on campus made.

Get real, kids. If you don't like the pay, find a better job!