Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Man Spends 2 Years In Solitary After DWI Arrest

A New Mexico man who said he was forced to pull his own tooth while in solitary confinement because he was denied access to a dentist has been awarded $22 million due to inhumane treatment by New Mexico's Dona Ana County Jail.

Stephen Slevin was arrested in August of 2005 for driving while intoxicated, then thrown in jail for two years, reported NBC station KOB.com Tuesday night. He was in solitary at Dona Ana County Jail for his entire sentence and basically forgotten about and never given a trial, he told KOB.com.

"'[Prison officials were] walking by me every day, watching me deteriorate," he said. "Day after day after day, they did nothing, nothing at all, to get me any help."

More

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Been there and done that. Be surprised what you can do with a paper clip.

Anonymous said...

I pull all of my own teeth myself. Only because I can't afford a dentist.

Anonymous said...

Been there and done that. Be surprised what you can do with a paper clip.

January 25, 2012 1:55 PM

Me too. What's the ratio now, 1 in 5, 1 in 6 has been to jail?

Anonymous said...

sobering to say the least