Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Stocking Up On Light Ahead Of Bulb Phase-Out

Consumers hoarding before traditional incandescents start disappearing from shelves

Karen DeCoster is thinking of entering the lighting business.

DeCoster, a certified public accountant from Detroit, has no experience in the field, but after hoarding 100-watt incandescent bulbs for months, she’s hoping to sell them on Craigslist for a profit
.
Starting in January, the traditional 100-watt incandescent bulbs that many Americans look to when lighting their homes will become a hot commodity. New federal efficiency standards, passed as part of the Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007, will make the production of these bulbs illegal then, followed by 75-, 60- and 40-watt bulbs in later years.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't get all the fuss. I switched to the cfl lights years ago... and really don't see any difference in the light quality. What I DO see is the considerable savings in how long they last, meaning I buy less of them an less hassle in changing bulbs meaning in the long run they are dramatically less expensive. Come to think of it, I don't think I've had to replace a bulb in over 5 years. When I switched to them... I did my whole house, and my electric bill dropped about 20%.

I think its a poor decision to legislate what the free market should be deciding in the first place, but I think left up to the free market most people would ultimately move to the cfl's because of value and savings.

Anonymous said...

BS. We did all of the above & not only do they need frequent replacement, they're expensive, they saved NOTHING on our electric bill AND, you can't see well enough to read. All HOGWASH!

Anonymous said...

@ 1:31 am

Keep drinking the cool aid man. Simply do a google search for cfl vs incandescent. They use roughly 1/4 of the energy, on average you have to replace an incandescent 8 to 10 times for the life of 1 cfl, making the cfl much less expensive.

Can't see well enough to read? That's the hogwash here. You may not like the quality of the light... I can't argue with an opinion like that.. but not bright enough to read means you are not using bright enough bulbs. A 23 watt CFL is the equivalent to a 100 watt incandescent. If you can't read by that.. you need your eyes checked.

FACTS.You should check em.