Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, June 03, 2011

SbyNEWS Motivates Woman to Come to Aid of Church

Last January, SbyNEWS ran a post detailing the theft of over $600 of heating oil from St. Paul’s Episcopal Church in Hebron.  Yesterday an SbyNEWS reader from Howard County called to offer assistance to the small parish.

Yesterday afternoon I received a call from Carol (last name withheld).  She told me that she had acquired a property in Ellicott City and was renovating the HVAC system.  She had come across the post in SbyNEWS and she wanted to know if St. Paul’s still needed assistance.  Carol offered 300+ gallons of heating oil, the tank, and a 4 year old furnace from the property.

I got in contact with Fr. Ron Knapp at St. Paul’s.  He is contacting Carol.

Not only was I gratified by this experience, it left me in awe of the generosity of SbyNEWS’s readers.

Thanks!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL way to bring that one back home G.A.

The top of the site should read:
Sbynews- Ripping good deeds out of the jaws of anonymity and making them all about us.

Keep up the "good work" G.A.- I'm always in need of a laugh.

Joseph Albero said...

There are only a select few people that would make such a comment. I think every one knows who the "anonymous" commenter might be.

It's unfortunate that all you Anti Albero Bloggers can do is see bad in all the good we provide.

To stoop so low as to pick on the good will of such kind people, (including a Church) just tells me where you'll be heading when you pass on.

If you can live with yourself for such negativity, just remember, being 250 pounds overweight will clearly bring you closer to that moment than the rest of us.

Cory said...

Please dont tell me somebody has stolen the oil again.... Joe and myself had helped with getting them oil back in the winter... and Father Ron was so grateful for my donation and the work that Joe did in finding someone that had extra oil they were not using.

What kind of scumbag steals anything from a church

G. A. Harrison said...

Anon 0845 -

Be honest. What is your specific beef? Is it people making public charitable contributions or publicly facilitating contributions? No, I think that it's really Albero-specific. It's OK for Joe to give money away, or to use SbyNEWS to help folks in other was (as it did in this case). It's not OK for Albero to receive any credit for. That's just not very well thought out, is it?

I don't see you complaining about the Community Foundation for putting Spicer Bell's picture in the paper multiple times each Sunday giving away money that isn't even his. I'm certainly not. They do great work.

I'm reminded of someone who gave Albero a lecture last year. They seemed to take the same attitude that you do. Amusingly, I recently saw their picture in the paper attending a fundraiser. et tu?

If you don't like what we do here, simply don't read it. I am looking for suggestions from readers all the time. However, I recognize that I will never be able to please everyone all of the time. Your's isn't really a suggestion though. It's simply being pissed off because SbyNEWS did something that was good for the community AND publicized the fact.

Sorry. My call. Don't like it? Call Albero and tell him you want my job.

Anonymous said...

Let's move past all the stuff and concentrate on the story. It is wonderful that someone is willing to donate and help this historic church. I want to thank Carol very much on behalf of the local community for her kindness!

Jack K Richards said...

Is that the Ron Knapp that used to be with the Sheriff's Dept years ago?>?????????jackkcharl@aol.com