Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Mitch Daniels, and Why We’ll Miss What Might Have Been

In my first column for RCP I urged Mitch Daniels to run for president. I had intended to use this one to regret his decision not to. But after reading the governor's email to his supporters explaining his choice and some of the commentary that followed his announcement, I've decided to express a few other regrets as well.

I am disappointed by his decision, and I'm sorry for the country, too. No other prospective candidate had a record of accomplishment as impressive as his. More importantly, I think Mitch Daniels has personal qualities that Americans yearn for in public leaders even as our political culture impedes them.

Jennifer Rubin, a conservative blogger for the Washington Post and a prolific enthusiast of the disrespect and bombast that characterize much of our politics, had this to say about Daniels after his decision:

"Daniels' pre-campaign effort was odd from the get-go. He antagonized key blocs of the Republican Party, evidenced a tin ear and seemed to take no counsel from anyone."

READ MORE …

No comments: