Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, October 10, 2011

2nd Annual Beer Festival A Success For Some, Costly For Others

If you were a part of the 2,500+ people who attended the Beer Festival the first day, you were a part of a good time until the end of the day.

As things started to come to a close and authorities started shutting the event down, some of the crowd became unruly. They seemed to be upset the event closed at 6:30, yet it seemed very clear to me what their hours were.

Unfortunately, (for a select few) DUI's also became an issues as at least two drivers, received DUI's, one came from an accident at the end of Pemberton Drive.

Your bound to have some issues from large events like this but my strong suggestion to every one attending, make sure you have a designated driver.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

it was a great event and it was clear that you could get a cab or you needed a designated driver.

Anonymous said...

Some people just can't help themselves. You just don't go to a Beer Festival and get drunk and then to top it off, drive too. I'm glad they were picked-up by the Sheriff's Office.

Anonymous said...

I did not attend, nor do I know if there was an admission fee, but I heard that there was unlimited "sampling" of the beer. Granted, I understand you can get as much beer as you want at a bar, if you have the money, but am I the only one that thought ahead of time that this was not such a good idea? At least without organizers making sure the participants had arrangements for their departure. No, it may not be "their problem," but it would help the safety of those living around it. We could also allow town houses to have a family in one have and a shooting range in the other. Just an opinion.

Anonymous said...

*UPDATE* I left the comment about making prior arrangements and just read the other comment that it was made clear that cabs were available. Again, I was not there and did not know so I am glad to know they DID if fact plan. I totally understand that you cannot help everyone. Some will do their own thing. Thank you Annon 10:41.

Anonymous said...

I wish there was a liqour festival lol...I hate beer

Gerald said...

Seems wrong with the amount of Drunks on the roads these days that any county or tourist group would support or glorify drinking!
Lets also have a pedifile fest at Chucky Cheese to show our support for not only drunks but child molesters!

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with 10:58.Besides,how can any amount of planning safeguard 2,500 people?By legal standards most were intoxicated.The organizers of this event really should'nt attempt to label this a "stellar event" or exonerate themselves from blame.Even if there had been shuttle buses available(I'm assuming there were not),some people will always insist on driving themselves home.If only cabs were present,well just do the math.

Anonymous said...

I commented on this a few days ago and stand by my feeling that it is ironic that the city/county should benefit from a drinking fest on government property when they publicly denounce drinking and driving. Cabs are not a solution. The county should have public transportation available for free if they are encouraging unlimited sampling. What if someone had been killed by a drunk driver coming from that event? 12:23 is correct that many drivers were over the .08 limit.