Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Opinion Piece For Salisbury News

Reflecting American Values?
Yesterday White House Press Secretary Jay Chaney, rebuking Congressman Ryan’s budget proposal, stood before the press and declared, “Any plan to reduce our deficit must reflect the American values of fairness and shared sacrifice.  To quote our President, let me be clear.  I’m an American.  I can prove it.  I grew up in a large suburban area.  I rode my bike to the movies, played pick-up baseball in the streets, owned a rather old “big-wheel” and stayed out as late as possible every summer night.  I mowed lawns and shoveled driveways for extra money.  I’ve been blessed.  Growing up I learned about the sacrifice of our forefathers, our brave men and women in the military and even those that have paid the ultimate sacrifice for their beliefs.  I’ve been lucky enough not to have paid that price personally.  I learned at the dinner table, I learned by reading, by listening and by watching my parents what it means to be an American.  I’ve also learned what it does not mean.
Fairness?  I learned as a small child that life is not fair.  That is not to say that we should not have compassion, volunteer to help and provide for others in need.  That is an individual, rather unique and widely held American quality that has resulted from the success that America has provided.  Having the government define and be the sole filter for this “fairness” or compassion is not American and it is certainly not a competency of any political party. 
Shared sacrifice?  The problem here is that liberals really do not believe in it.  How is it that their version of shared sacrifice results in class warfare?  How it that this sacrifice means that the few must support the many through the sole filter of the US Government?  True sacrifices are made every day by members of our military and those using their time, energy, talents and money in support of local churches, communities and those in need across the country.  
I am a proud American.  I understand that it is not through the hand of government intervention that I form and define my ‘participation’ in the American experiment or our values.  I’m insulted at the suggestion.  I am able to reflect the American values of compassion for others and support for those in need without any politician measuring that value with their definition of a worthy contribution.
You should be able to as well. 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The press secretarys' name is Jay Carney, a former member of Time magazine, a very liberal, going broke rag that supported Obama.

James Lewis said...

His name is Jay Carney, not Chaney. People would take you more seriously if you did at least the minimum amount of research before printing something with errors.

Anonymous said...

The only sacrifice the democrats want is from any American in the way of their agenda. I recall very little sacrifice from the democrats when Pelosi was in charge.

Anonymous said...

It doesn't make a bit of difference how you spell his name ,
he's wrong. A human jock strap.

KDickson said...

My mistake on the name. Typing too fast, in my haste I did incorrectly type the Press Secretary's name. Research though??? No research, just my thoughts regarding the ongoing arrogance in Washington. I know him, just don't agree with so many of what comes out of his mouth.

Anonymous said...

J Lewis, why don't you just listen to the message and curtail your obvious disdain for someone who values our countries traditional values, ethics, and mores.