Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, September 13, 2010

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

Happy Birthday

Today you would have been 66 years old had you lived. Although it's been sixteen and a half years, we still remember you. We remember you and what tragically happened to you.

Personally, I never met you, but that doesn't matter. On May 12th 1994, I was wrapped up in my own life over a hundred miles away and my whole world would have very little chance of intersecting yours.I only know of you the tragedy of what happened, and very little of that. Indeed, that really doesn't matter, either, because we are all brothers and sisters in the greater sense, and we all have an obligation to each other. It's an obligation protect the weak, guard the young, and remember those who perish.

We have an obligation to ourselves to set limits as to what we will tolerate as a society, and to do our best to see that those who cross the line are dealt with in a manner that is acceptable to our society.
It's not our place to judge others for their actions, but it is our responsibility to make sure that people are held accountable for their actions. Without this basic principle, society itself begins to erode and ultimately disintegrate.

It was quite by accident that I came to know about you. I'd heard numerous people decry the awful place known as Salisbury, I'd heard people go on and on about how unsafe it was and how the police were ineffective, and so on and so forth.

I didn't find Salisbury to be so offensive, in fact, i thought it was quite nice, so I decided to do a little statistical research. And, that's how I came to know about you.

Let me say, I was flabbergasted and quite saddened that there is so little information about who you were readily available. In the age of the Information Superhighway, there should be more. People need to know that someones mom or sister or wife or best friend was taken, and that it doesn't fly here. People need to know that even seventeen years later that justice has to be meted out.

I'm not talking about gory details here. For me, getting killed at work is gory enough. I don't need the images of that to know that it was wrong.

There was a case in the 90's in Michigan involving an unsolved murder of a street walker if I remember correctly. Anyway, a person who was a child in the worst part of Detroit's ghetto at the time of the murder grew up hearing the details of what happened from the perpetrators. That child grew up to overcome the ghetto and wound up in college, U of M if my memory serves me, where he read the account of that murder, but this time, the victim had a name and a face and a bio from her family. The guilt this person felt caused him to seek out the authorities, and his recollections of what he grew up hearing ultimately led to the arrest of the person responsible.

They say that they found your murderer, but during court, the only witness was threatened harm to their family, so they withdrew testimony. Can you imagine the guilt that person must carry? They also say that the security video of what happened was stolen, and copies were sold. How brutal, but, if true, someone has that tape today.

You know, maybe I'm losing my mind. After all, I don't know you or your family or really have any connection to Salisbury, but I can't get the thought of you and what happened out of my head. I think that your community, no, strike that, the community of mankind has an obligation to itself to not forget you, and to not let your name be forgotten until justice is brought to the persons who did this. And, even though I'm not a member of the Salisbury community, I am aware of what happened in 1994, so that makes me accountable too.

I find it disheartening to hear people say 'It's the plouice' or 'It's the librals' or 'I'ts the conservatives' or whatever when they have done nothing to curb the flow of violence themselves. Not even something simple, like paying tribute to someone who was gunned down by ruthless killers while she was doing her job. Putting the message out that 'No matter if it IS the fault of someone else, we won't stand for it here'

Terrible things happen to people all the time. Ultimately, we can't choose how we die, we can only choose how we live. They say your death was meaningless, but I would rather think the meaning of your death is now just being realized. Hopefully, your death and the hole it tore in your community can serve to start mending the community. Maybe your tragic death in May of 1994 can be a catalyst to bring abut a change in attitudes in Salisbury, and stave off the negativism that feeds this monster of urban blight.

Anyway, Happy Birthday Jane Smith, and maybe my remembering you here will cause others to put together a fitting remembrance that might help to catch whomever did this.



from the Salisbury Police Department's Cold Case page on the 'net:
Irma Jane Smith

On May 12, 1994 at approximately 1:54 A.M. the Salisbury Police responded to the Shore Stop convenience store located on Rt. 13 and Cherry St. in reference to a homicide. The investigation revealed that the store clerk a white female,(Irma Jane Smith) had been stabbed numerous times. It appears that Smith had been robbed prior to the homicide. A witness told police they saw a man inside the store at approximately 1:30 A.M. When the witness attempted to entered the business a black male told the witness that the store was closed. A second witness advised police that he observed a black male putting items into a bag. This witness was also told by the subject that the store was closed. The man inside the store was described as a black male, approximately 30 years old, 6 feet tall, weighing approximately 230 pounds with a light mustache, wearing a baseball type hat, brown work pants and a work jacket. The police are also looking for a man that was seen outside the store on the pay phone who may either be a witness or possible lookout for the suspect. This man is described as a black male, approximately 28 years old, 5 feet 10 inches tall, weighing about 165 pounds, very clean appearance with a mustache.

Anyone with any information about this crime is asked to contact the Salisbury Police Department at (410) 548-3165 or Crime Solvers at (410) 548-1776.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for that. I didn't know the lady, but every time I go past that store I think of her. I guess she is remembered more than she would have ever imagined.

Anonymous said...

God bless this person for remembering this lady..An innocent lady trying to make a living, Killed by some thug...This is so sad ..Did she have family here???? People need to remember her , Police need to keep working on this case ,she deserves justice...Happy Birthday dear lady..RIP

Anonymous said...

They know the killer but the killer threatened the witness' family. Therefore, no testimony. This woman is remembered, just don't know how to get justice for her. Thank you writer for this.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. She was a person, not a statistic.

If there were better protections for witnesses in this hole, things might be much different.

Anonymous said...

What was the defendants name in the trial that was dismissed?

Anonymous said...

I posted the original birthday greeting, and now tears of joy are streaming down my face. I didn't know Jane, but felt a strong need to make the people of her hometown aware again, to try and make them see that change begins in the soul and mind of everyone. I.m reading these posts and feel like an enormous weight has been lifted from my shoulders. I feel that maybe my little obsession with seeing a stranger who died nearly 17 years get the justice she deserves might not be crazy after all. My daughter asked me why I'm not taking this before the print media or broadcst media in your city, and my reply was that the conventional media in Salisbury let these folks down....in a town of less than 30 k, the media has a profound ability to rally people together, to form public opinion and shape the direction of the community. I hate to be so cynical,but I feel they have the blood of Jane Smith on their hands for allowing her case to fall under the radar.This isn't Detroit or even Baltimore and crimes pf this magnitude should not be allowed to escape the attention of the public. Luckily for you, there is a man named Albero who seems to know what responsibility is. I don't know what to make of his politics, but his sense of duty seems right on the mark. I suspect there are many more like him. Please don't let the Jane Smiths of this world be needless deaths.

Anonymous said...

Your a lot closer to this than you admit, arent you? I can see it between the lines.

Chimera said...

I would love to see those responsible pay for this.Even if the thug got off in court he has to face another judge one day.Anyone who would have a copy of the murder on tape is a sick waste of space.

Anonymous said...

Wow, 12:16. If by 'you're closer to this than you admit' you are insinuating that I had something to do with the crime, well, I guess you caught me. That's right, it was me all along. All kidding aside, I am not now, nor was I in 1994, a black male. Evidently the murderers went to court, and it wasn't me. The moderator of this blog has my email, and without hesitation he should forward it to any agency he sees fit for a thorough review of who I am. In fact, he casn contact me personally and I will give him all of my info.

I admit that a complete stranger having interest in a 17 year old murder case is a bit odd, so I'll tell you some about me. I am a salesman who has worked as a reporter, a writer, a musician and a manager. The only connection I have to zsalisbury is my job, which brings me there every two weeks and I serve the Shore Stops in town. Although I am not alone in the store Ms Smith's fate could easily be mine. I would not want my death to be in vain.

Is the concept of someone having compassion really that foreign to you?

Anonymous said...

12:16 and 2:57
It doesn't matter how close one is or isn't to this case. The fact is that this case is a cold case and Irma Jane Smith nor her family has received justice in this case. As cold as this case is the murderer is much colder.
To this day, Shore Stops and other convenience stores only work one employee and this could happen time and again.
My personal feeling, I wish when one of these robberies took place, there was a bullet waiting for them on the other side of the counter. Never have I heard of so many bank robberies going on in small towns, but now they are out of hand as well.

Anonymous said...

well said, 3:10. If we don't drop the negativity and get to the business of straightening things out, then we never going to get things where they need to be. This is not just about Irma Jane, it's about all of us....this is our home! Now how do we go from here? What do we do to make things better for everybody? We can't bring back Miss Smith as hard as we try so what can we do so nobody forgets her?

Anonymous said...

Get rid of the drugs and you be surprised how many things take care of themselves from there.
And 3;10 go deeper.

pmiller said...

this is truly a kind, caring person. there are STILL people who do care about others. thank GOD ! i sincerely hope something happens to bring due justice in this case.also i feel the need to thank Mr.Albero for making this even possible to reach out and express our feelings and concerns. whether its looking for a lost pet, all the way to the sarah foxwell case, you are truly an inspiration! thank you for ALL you do!!!!

Anonymous said...

5:57
Sometimes it is not only about the drugs. Sometimes it is about the thrill and the adenaline rush that they get during robberies, burglaries, home invasions, assaults and so on. In other words, whether it is drugs or a rush, they are just bad people who make bad decisions that the rest of us pay for. We pay by having our stuff stolen, our houses and possesions destroyed or the ultimate price as in Irma Jane Smith, our lives.

Ms. Smith was doing what so many of us do. Go to work for a paycheck and go home to take care of our families. What a waste of a good life by a piece of trash who continues to live a free life. Hopefully he screwed up and ended up in prison after all.