Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, May 10, 2010

Senator Colburn Files For Reelection


ANNAPOLIS – Senator Richard F. Colburn (R. Eastern Shore) has announced that he has filed for re-election to his 37th Legislative District seat (Caroline, Dorchester, Talbot and Wicomico counties). Senator Colburn highlighted issues he has worked on during his 2007-2010 term. Senator Colburn stated “I have always worked diligently to make sure the voices of my constituents are heard as I have strived to have an office responsive to constituent concerns. I believe that my constituents always come first.

I was responsible for giving Caroline County voters the ability to make the final decision in the 2010 General Election about the Hybrid Elected School Board Bill. I introduced legislation to increase chances of electing a resident Delegate for Caroline County. As your representative, I will continue to push for mid-shore transportation projects such as the dualization of state route 404 and the building of a new Dover bridge.

I championed a $500,000 Bond Bill for the new $3 million Dorchester General Hospital Emergency Center. During the 2010 Session I was successful in securing $70,000 for the Dorchester YMCA ($140,000 total/2007-2010) and $50,000 for the Richardson Maritime Museum. In Wicomico County, I was also successful in working with Delegate Norm Conway in securing $10,000 ($160,000 total between the House and the Senate) to assist the Salisbury Zoo for their animal health clinic renovation project.

I have been instrumental in working with the Cambridge City Council to revitalize the downtown area. I recognize there is a tremendous return on the tourist dollar (almost $29 to every $1 spent) which is why I will continue to do everything possible to make Dorchester County a real tourist destination point. I have worked hard in a bipartisan effort by listening and acting on behalf of my constituents to keep the Easton Memorial Hospital in the Town of Easton. This is a health and safety issue for Mid-Shore citizens. Keeping the hospital in Easton retains 1,100 jobs in the immediate area. Losing it would have been a devastating economic blow to the entire region.

The Delmarva poultry industry employs almost 15,000 people and is a $2 billion industry; because of this I have worked hard in promoting and preserving this industry. I have been a strong advocate for business on the Eastern Shore, particularly the agriculture and seafood industries. I will continue to help the embattled watermen by trying to keep them working on the Chesapeake Bay. I have also been proactive in trying to get high-speed internet and broadband on the Shore.

I am known for my tough anti-crime positions—advocating the death penalty for convicted first degree murderers and pushing for an amendment that would allow police officers to identify (via drivers license) second and third tier sex offenders.

I am proud to be an Eastern Shore Native, born and raised in Oxford. It has been my distinct honor and privilege to represent the people of the Eastern Shore. I have and will always love the Eastern Shore and will continue to work hard on its behalf.

Therefore, as the 2010 Maryland General Assembly has concluded, and with my wife Alma’s encouraging and enthusiastic support, I have filed for reelection for the 37th District State Senate Seat.”

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The ladies look very nice.

Anonymous said...

Sir:

Every legislative body needs its resident buffoon to create those memorable asinine moments. The Salisbury City Council has Shanie, the Maryland House of Delagates has Rudi and the Maryland Senate has (and needs to keep) "Rich".

Anonymous said...

Does he still favor seccession of the Shore form the State of Maryland if not the US also?

Anonymous said...

Damn Jeannie Haddaway is one good looking delegate!

Anonymous said...

are u sure u got the energy for that.lol