Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, May 10, 2010

Humane Society

Every Saturday morning, I log into the Wicomico County Humane Society site and look to see if they have any new dogs. Finally, yesterday, they had pictures of a brand new litter of puppies that were finally old enough to adopt. They were adorable.

Since they did not open until 11:00, I waited for the time to pass. I got there at about 5 minutes after. People that had arrived before I did had already begun to stake their claim on the puppy of their choice so there were only 2 puppies left to even get to know. I reached in to pet both of them and was going to pick the male up and the female got all in his way as if to say, no...I am your's and I have picked you as my new owner. Needless to say, it was love at first sight as I held her in my face to get a good look at her and she licked me.

By this time, the office was getting packed with others who came for the same reason. To be fair to others, I put the puppy back in so they could see her and have a chance as well. I filled out the paperwork while watching many fall in love with her also. A gentleman asked me which one I wanted to adopt and I responded, the one you are holding. I saw his face fall and said, please apply anyway. Who knows? For some reason, I may not make the cut and this puppy still deserves a home. He smiled and said, thank you miss.

I could not stay for the entire process and when I ran my errands and got back home, I logged on and saw that all of them but the mother had been adopted! This happened within a few hours of them opening their doors! I won't know until next week if I am one of the lucky ones but if not, I hope that the gentleman can have her. The funny thing is, I had decided to call her Harley and the gentleman was wearing what I think was Harley attire.

The employees and helpers there are fantastic! I listened as they patiently answered the same questions over and over again as new people came in and asked the same things that those of us had asked when we got there. I'd like to thank them for all that they do.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I took in a dog the night of the blizzard. We tried to locate her owners but she had been on the loose for a week before. When I brought her home, she turned out to be a really sweet dog. We thought about keeping her and using her for a therapy dog, but we placed her in a home that she is with a family that needed her for their own therapy dog. I had her for 3 weeks and 2 days and the new owner had her for 3 weeks and 2days and she showed her gratitude by having 9 black puppies for us. I took the momma and babies back into my home to raise and momma will be returned to her new home. He came by to see her every day while she was here to keep the connection with her and she loves and adores her man. I have found homes for 6 puppies already and need to place 3 more. This dog is the most lovely, well mannered dog and nobody was looking for her.

I am glad she came into my life and these puppies are being placed into loving homes. If people do not want to raise an "oops" litter, then they need to spay/neuter their dogs. This is my 3rd rescue litter and I would like to say it will be my last, but I can guarantee that if I see a dog or cat on the side of the road, I will make every attempt to pick it up and try to locate the family. These are special puppies because their mom could have froze to death.

Anonymous said...

Please think about adopting an older dog. Don't just always go for the puppies. You can learn a lot from a dog.