Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, March 22, 2018

Two oily fish dishes a week cut your risk of premature death by 33%

Eating plenty of oily fish like salmon or mackerel can slash the risk of a premature death by up to a third, according to new research.

A study of 2,500 older people found those who had the highest amounts of omega-3 were 34 percent less likely to die within the next seven years.

They were also 39 percent less likely to suffer a heart attack or stroke.

The fatty acids - found in oily seafood such as salmon, mackerel and sardines - were a better predictor of good health than cholesterol levels.

More

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So that god awful cod liver oil had merit after all.

Anonymous said...

I fry mine in bacon grease for added health benefits!

Anonymous said...

I take fish oil supplements. I can eat grilled Salmon, Tilapia, or Flounder, but anything that tastes really fishy like Blue Fish or Stripped bass, is disgusting to me. The smell is bad enough. I'll take a big juicy cancer causing, heart stopping steak on the Charcoal grill any day.
If eating fish buys me an extra day in a nursing home, I'll die happy and eat what I want. I'll take the Steak!

Anonymous said...

I call b.s. on this.

Anonymous said...

I'll eat a statin every day before I eat oily fish dishes.