Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, September 05, 2017

When Catholic Statues Attack

A Catholic school is removing its Catholic statues to be more inclusive. While this sounds like another action in the continued debate over controversial monuments, this is more a trend of religions, especially Catholics, hiding their beliefs, or watering them down enough so as not to be a bother.

It reminds me of a time I toured Georgetown University with my daughter on a fine spring day years ago. She had been accepted for the fall and we were checking out the campus.

When most of the tours and talks were over, I walked toward the common area, and the smell was overwhelmingly delicious.

Thick burgers on the grill.

It was a Friday during Lent, the only time when Catholics are supposed to abstain from eating meat on Fridays. Georgetown is a Catholic school. Yet the Grill Club was allowed (encouraged?) to take over the common and serve up forbidden fruit.

More

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When I was a kid there was a statue of some venerated Sister in our school's plaza, and around it there was a little round garden. I swear, nothing would grow there except weeds, even though there was a gardener. I still have nightmares about it.