Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, April 27, 2017

Fed Up With Losing Their Kids To Drug Overdoses, Parents Share Their Stories

“This wasn’t supposed to happen.” Parents take to social media to demand justice for their children.

Every morning, when I log into Facebook, I’m already braced for the punch. I know what I’ll see. Another parent, another family, posting about their child’s fatal overdose. Social media is flooded with pictures of kids grinning in their graduation caps – and comatose, plugged into a monitor in the ICU. These posts are sad memorials to the victims of the opioid crisis – and a call to action, to government, big pharma, and our communities. These deaths are preventable, and they affect every one of us. After all: this could be your kid.

Heroin use continues to grow dramatically as the opioid epidemic ravages our communities. Yet, many people who use opiates and die from overdoses aren’t truly addicted. Some haven’t even developed a chemical dependency yet. They’re recreational users, or they get their opiates from the pharmacy. I was one of those people: prescribed painkillers following a bad ankle injury, I quickly found that I needed more pills. Like many other people, I turned to black market alternatives when my prescription ran out. I ended up nearly dying. What would my mom have posted on her Facebook page? What stories would my friends have told about me? I am one of the lucky ones: I survived, and now I’m working to fight the addiction crisis that kills so many people who are just like me.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is a big problem. I lost a cousin to a Heroin overdose. She got hooked and couldn't get off of it. Was scheduled for drug rehab on a Monday and overdosed on the Friday before that. This was back in March. It is very hard to attend a viewing and funeral for a young person. She was only 32 years old. I'm not judging her because I had my wild period in my youth with Alcohol. We need to arrest and charge all the drug dealers with murder.

Anonymous said...

how about don't make a bad choice and put this rat poison in your veins.life is full of good choices.how about stop giving out narcan and let them weed themselves out.if the younger generation is losing friends on a regular basis,wouldnt that be a wake up call to not do it?

Anonymous said...

12:36
That is very easy for you to say until happens to someone you love and care for. Addictions can come in many forms, not just drugs. Judge not, unless you want to be judged. I personally would never do something like this, but I have had my own personal battles in my youth with Alcohol. Lucky I survived this with the help of friends and family over thirty years ago. I've been told, once you get hooked on this stuff, it is extremely difficult to get off of it. She made a mistake and it cost her, her life and now we grieve and my relatives grieve because of this. Only hope it doesn't happen to someone near to you.

Anonymous said...

2;21, I happen to make it a point to only befriend and hang out with responsible people that make wise choises.why should my tax dollars pay for the addicts that keep teetering on the edge of death?just don't make tha bad choices.

Anonymous said...

you still choose to do the drug, so be ready to face the consequences. the drug dealer didn't put the needle in your arm. just like if you drive drunk, the store clerk that sold you the alcohol isn't considered a murderer. or if you speed in your car, the dealership that sold you the car isn't a murderer. YOU make the choice. and for these addicts, sure their families want to help them, but until they're ready for help, the addict won't accept the help. it's a shame, but it's also a choice.

Anonymous said...

Why are we tolerating the import of heroine by the US Military and secret spy agencies?

Why?

Anonymous said...

It's heroin, not heroine. Look it up.