Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, March 16, 2017

Femininity has nothing to do with Feminism: One is a wardrobe-choice, the other a belief-system

I’ve always found the proverb “May you live in interesting times” particularly interesting. The origins of the phrase may be debatable, but the intent behind it isn’t. May you live in interesting times is a curse in disguise…meant to wish a period of instability and upheaval upon the person it is aimed at.

I for one, thrill in the fact that you and I live in interesting times. We live in a time marked with instability and upheaval and as a proud and unapologetic feminist, I’m thankful for that everyday because stability would mean regressing to the time when ‘women’s place’, in the household, in the workplace and in the world was determined by the narrow prejudicial constructs of the society and those who claimed to be it’s vanguards.

I have been extremely vocal about my feminist beliefs and my support for the often-alienated LGBTQ community. There have been more than a few times when this vociferousness has cost me a movie or some other professional gig. And you know what I think about that? I think that’s just too bad. Because talking about women’s rights and supporting the disenfranchised is not a ‘cause’ that I’ve chosen to ‘align’ myself with. I couldn’t be happier that Feminism is receiving more air-time and editorial-space than ever before. But Feminism is not simply a ‘viral phenomenon’ and equal rights and opportunity in all spheres of life is NOT a ‘fad’! Feminism is a belief system. It’s the way I’ve been brought up, the way I think, the way I approach the world, and the only way of living that makes any sense to me.

More

No comments: