Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Today's Feminism: Too Much Marketing, Not Enough Reality

I'm a black woman of a certain age, a divorced mom of two teenagers who has no choice but to focus daily on the challenges of keeping a home, my family and myself on track. I'm college-educated, work in media communications, am precariously middle-class — and I am tired of what I witness of today's feminism.

I'd hoped that the Women's March might help me update my perception of feminism, at least as it is commonly portrayed and disseminated of late.

I'd followed the back and forth in the alternative and mainstream press during its hurried, urgent formation, and chalked up reports about internal squabbles over the race and class makeup of the group's leadership to the same kind of growing pains that beset every activist group that I've ever followed or covered during my years in newsrooms. But now, a month after the Women's March masterfully pulled off a massive protest in D.C. that also inspired similar ones in major American and global cities, my nascent investigation of the March 8 'general strike' and 'day without women' raised only more concerns, and a few questions, all located in what I see as a big void in today's marketing-driven expression of 'feminism.'

More

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Feminism is hoax from the left.

Anonymous said...

Feminism has no credibility when they stood behind Bill Clinton.