Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Journalist Dives Into Gulf, Can Only See Oil


It takes 30 minutes to clean off after diving into ocean 40 miles from shore


UNDER THE MURKY DEPTHS OF THE GULF OF MEXICO - Some 40 miles out into the Gulf Of Mexico, I jump off the boat into the thickest patch of red oil I've ever seen. I open my eyes and realize my mask is already smeared. I can't see anything and we're just five seconds into the dive.


Dropping beneath the surface the only thing I see is oil. To the left, right, up and down — it sits on top of the water in giant pools, and hangs suspended fifteen feet beneath the surface in softball sized blobs. There is nothing alive under the slick, although I see a dead jellyfish and handful of small bait fish.


I'm alone because the other divers with me wouldn't get in the water without Hazmat suits on, and with my mask oiled over and the water already dark, I don't dive deep.


GO HERE to read more.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What did he expect , of course nothing would be alive , it's oil you ding bat!! Everyone wants piece of the oil pie I guess!

Anonymous said...

How many of you have ever woke up like that, I have.

Anonymous said...

too bad they all don't jump..we really only need one of them in the first place..so he can read the Government press release

Chimera said...

It will take many years to restore those waterways and in the meantime, this environmental disaster has already had an impact on the seafood industry HERE.Where do you think we get our oysters and shrimp in the off seasons?
I never had an opinion one way or the other previously about offshore drilling but if anything good can come out of it,its that more voters locally,like myself, will realize what an oil spill of this magnitude would do to the Delmarva area and write their elected officials to oppose ANY off-shore drilling in Maryland,Delaware and Virginia waters.

Anonymous said...

Bluto, relief wells would of stopped the entire thing,it wouldnt even of made the news.
doug wilkerson,

Anonymous said...

is that the wicomico river??