Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, March 31, 2016

Why Does This Water Tower Anger Atheists?

The city council in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma was in a bit of a pickle.

The city was in the middle of a growth spurt and needed high ground to build a one-million gallon water tower.

But the property they needed was owned by the First Baptist Church. So they made a deal with Pastor Nick Garland and the congregation.

“We donated the land and the easements for the tower,” Pastor Garland told me. “In kind, they said they would paint our name on the water tower.”

It was a fair trade – all on the up and up.

But it turns out – a gaggle of perpetually offended atheists, agnostics and free-thinkers from Wisconsin took issue with the deal.

The Freedom From Religion Foundation fired off a sinister letter to the city – warning that the inclusion of the church’s name on the water tower violates federal law.

“At some point that name is going to have to come off the water tower,” attorney Andrew Seidel told television station KTUL. “The water tower is in fact, government owned, and on government land. And as such, it can’t be advertising for any religion.”

Well, the good people of Broken Arrow don’t appreciate a bunch of out-of-town atheists causing trouble. And the city’s attorney politely told the Freedom From Religion Foundation that the church’s name is going to stay on the water tower.

More here

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Atheist here. The reality is I, and I'd like to say the collective we, have nothing against religion. Although I can only speak for myself and those I know, I think religion is a beautiful thing for a lot of people -- its just not what I believe. That being said, I find it a little sad that they're causing such a ruckus over this. I think this was a very generous thing to do, whether it be for religious reasons or not, and I respect that. I think it boils down to everyone having a problem with everything now days. I live right by a church and it doesn't bother me at all. The country I love gave people the freedom and ability to believe what they wish. I would prefer people be more accepting of that

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your input, atheist. You're fine, and we're cool with you.

It's the militant fascists at the FFRF that are the problem. They aren't "atheists", they're fascists. Period. They've made a religion out of persecuting Christian expression in the public realm. Four full-time lawyers with attitude problems.

Their time is coming. These frivolous law suits are going to get them financially bit. Somebody is going to turn it around on them and eat their lunch.

Anonymous said...

Atheists don't believe in anything so I don't believe they exist.

Anonymous said...

Very true 7:35, there are many atheist groups that are satanic or fascist. Jesus is the way for me

Anonymous said...

Atheist is back! @8:18 we do believe in many things actually. My beliefs are grounded in science as that is my background. So evolution, big bang, etc. Keep on keepin on everybody :)

Anonymous said...

I don't think you understand what an "atheist" is. You cannot be an atheist if you believe in satan, or the devil.

An "atheist" does not believe in any supernatural superbeing.

Belief in "God" also infers belief in a "devil". Some people worship "God" and some worship the "devil". As an atheist myself, I find devilworshiping even sillier than godbothering.

And fascism? I'd suggest you go look that definition up, because atheism is pretty much the opposite.

You have the right to believe in fairy tales, I have the right to believe in science.

Anonymous said...

Atheist is exactly as it sounds. A-theist, or "not" theist. That's it, no more, no less.

The label makes no statement about your political views, your ideologies, ethics, morals, beliefs, etc.

Let me put it another way. If you are Christian, the fact that you don't believe in Vishnu says nothing about you other than you don't accept the validity of the claims of the people who follow Vishnu. That's it. It makes no positive assertions about you.

In fact, if there was no one making theistic claims, atheist would be a non existing label. We wouldn't even need to have the word in our language.

Anonymous said...

Bottom line is....the gobmnt advertising for baptist. It is ILLEGAL. Like it or not. Believe in Jesus or not. How would some of you feel if the town bought the property for the tower from a mosque or satanic church and advertised their church on it. You would feel a little different then now wouldn't you.

So remember while you are hatin' on the FFR people and athiest about stuff... and as much as they are working against Christianity, they are helping the beliebers to keep Islam out of your towns.

You know.. the enemy of my enemy crap.

Anonymous said...

Put a gay pride flag on it, that'll make them happy. The church should tell them to take it down and give their land back. Let the atheist pay for it.