Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Sunday, January 10, 2016

TIGHTENING THE RULES ON GUNS Obama actions require background checks by all in 'business' of firearms

Obama announces gun control actions, expands background checks

President Obama formally announced plans Tuesday to expand background checks and make other changes to America’s gun rules via executive action, bypassing Congress and fueling an election-year fight with Republicans.

“Everybody should have to abide by the same rules,” Obama said.

The president, speaking at the White House, said background checks "make a difference" and will be expanded so that they can cover purchases online, at gun shows and in other venues.

“Anybody in the business of selling firearms must get a license and conduct background checks or be subject to criminal prosecutions,” he said. Obama was flanked by victims of gun violence and introduced by Mark Barden, whose son was killed in the Sandy Hook mass shooting.

At the heart of Obama's plan is a more sweeping definition of gun dealers that the administration hopes will expand the number of gun sales subject to background checks. At gun shows, websites and flea markets, sellers often skirt that requirement by declining to register as licensed dealers, but officials said the new federal guidance clarifies that it applies to anyone "in the business" of selling firearms.

More

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well....thats brilliant. None of these new measures makes me feel any safer. None of these new measures will do anything to stop any "mass shootings."
It will, however, open the door a little bit more to the total ban on all guns for the general public.

JoeAlbero said...

12:45, THAT is the whole idea! It's what I call SOFT LEGISLATION. They start out passing something very simple, stuff you'll agree with. A month from now they'll change it right after Congress agrees to this. WAKE UP AMERICA, STOP BEING STUPID.

JoeAlbero said...

Don't let them open the flood gates.

Anonymous said...

As I commented earlier, background checks for buying a gun but no background checks for becoming President?

Anonymous said...

This is only going to push gun sales deeper underground and probably issue up new customers as well. Quite honestly.., I think that's what these people want. I refuse to believe that only the 'MC' or MS-13 are the only illicit gun runners tapping the market. In the words of some legendary crime reporter, "Follow the money".

Anonymous said...

We need to start by defunding the folks who protect the president like they have proposed in Virginia for the idiot gov. Lets see how secure these idiots feel without the right to protect themselves.
They aren't smart enough to see that the criminals don't register their weapons anyhow. DUH

Anonymous said...

We have over 100 million gun owners in America , most of which own several guns. This would be , I hope the largest army in the world.
If this idiot administration doesn't realize that , then sad on them.
having been to war in 1966-1968 I don't have a problem with doing it again. We need to stand tall for our rights and defend our constitution. Can I get some back up here ? Who has some balls? Sound off people , I can't hear you!!!

T Crowe said...

What amazes me is the average voter doesn't seem concerned that the President is more concerned with eradicating the Second Amendment while they continue to struggle with rising cost of living' s disproportion with wages and lack of jobs in this country right now. Alarming is understatement.

Anonymous said...

You have to understand some of us older folks , still in good condition . My guns are my children now that mine are grown.
I feed them all the time and love it. If we would punish the criminals , we could solve these problems .
I'm pretty old , 72 , I believe in the law , I believe in our rights , I believe in GOD and trust him to guide me through this time of trouble. I will not allow my guns to be taken , I will not register any more guns or will I allow anyone to confiscate them.
This is my 2nd amendment right and I will die to keep it true.
If you want to try me at my home or else where for this statement , then so be it. This is NO BS.

T. Crowe said...

Not saying this attempt to dismantle is not disturbing but this administration is shameless while so many fractions of its citizenry is still living in poverty. It just goes to show the obvious disconnect between the guns & butter concerns of middle American and the DC elites.

Anonymous said...

Selling one gun a year from person to person is ok .

Anonymous said...

Criminals will always get a background ck ? Wtf.

Comment worthy of a post? said...

Joe
Now 2 NY politicians are trying to limit bullets to that refistered gun , you will only be allowed a certain amount of bullets per year, THIS IS WILL BE THE END OF THE 2 AMMENDMENT.

Anonymous said...

'Infringed' is in the dictionary, isn't it?

Anonymous said...

If you live in Maryland it is illegal for your children (or anyone else) to inherit your guns without passing a background check. We are lucky it's not enforced at this time but it could be in the future.

Anonymous said...

Tell it to the criminals,

Anonymous said...

1:52 comment: I am in with you...Screw this Democratic Progressive mess....

Lock and Load Y'all!!!

Anonymous said...

I sell all my registered guns every year to Amos. Then Amos dies, and wills them back to me. Then I will them to my children or not because they already have them in their possession!

Then, I buy more "Registered" weapons and ammo to match, and do the same.

Gosh darn.

If there's a problem, they all got stolen last night. Gosh.

I hate when that happens!