Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, July 10, 2015

Md. governor gives his take on Confederate flag, symbols

WASHINGTON — Maryland Governor Larry Hogan says he agrees with the decision to take the Confederate battle flag off the grounds of the State Capitol in South Carolina, but there’s only so far the Republican governor is willing to go when it comes to scrubbing offensive symbols from public spaces.

During a news conference on Thursday, Hogan told reporters he’d taken action to remove the confederate flag from state license plates, but he said, “Some of this other stuff, to me, is going too far and is political correctness run amok.”

One divisive symbol sits on the south entrance of the Maryland State House: the statue of Roger Brooke Taney, a Maryland native who served as the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court. One former Maryland delegate, Jolene Ivey, wants Taney’s statue removed from the grounds at the Annapolis capitol.

More

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let's just make history go away to suit people who find it disturbing.

Anonymous said...

Wow, lookey here, another RINO caving to the loudest voices.

I am so ashamed of myself for voting for these fools.

Anonymous said...

That idiot should have left well enough alone.

I can assure you he has lost a lot of support with this dumb move. He had nothing to do with this. What an ignoramus!

Anonymous said...

Completely lost my support. The man has no back bone. This states history is with the Confederacy.

Anonymous said...

I can tell you this much Larry Hogan, I was one of your biggest supporters and I can assure you I and many others have been fooled. You remind me of Jim Ireton and I despise the both of you. I despise you now and I hope Mr. Albero lets you see these comments.

I worked on your campaign, Sir. I am done with you!

Anonymous said...

To 10:45 The state's history was with the Confederacy. But as you stated above "was" is the keyword and refers to the past.

Anonymous said...

thats right

Anonymous said...

I support Hogan and his approach to all of this.

Anonymous said...

People weren't "so offended" until they were told to be offend. This is nothing but madness.