Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, July 17, 2015

Mayor Calls Barack Obama 'Monkey Man,' & Michelle Obama 'Gorilla Face,' But Says He's Not Racist

The mayor of a small city in Washington reportedly admitted that he called President Barack Obama "monkey man" and first lady Michelle Obama "gorilla face," but says he will not resign over the racist comments.

"Gorilla face Michelle, can't disagree with that," Patrick Rushing, mayor of Airway Heights, reportedly wrote in a Facebook post. "The woman is not attractive except to monkey man Barack. Check out them ears. LOL."

The comments led the city council to call for his resignation on Monday.

“When a figurehead makes comments such as these that sets us back and it's hard to come back from,” police chief and acting city manager Lee Bennett told KXLY, the local ABC station.

However, Rushing insists he will not step down from his role as mayor of the city, which is just outside of Spokane and has a population of nearly 6,500, according to Census data.

“I made a mistake. I owned up to my mistake,” Rushing told the Spokesman-Review. “If I do resign that’s admitting I’m a racist and I’m not.”

More

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

he didnt get the memo that you cant speak the truth!

Anonymous said...

Doublespeak

Anonymous said...

Cracker Barrel is a racist name.

Anonymous said...

That's a hoot!

Anonymous said...

My goodness he is right , the similarity is astounding for those two.
His fathers dreams ? I just can't digest that now .

Anonymous said...

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me."

Get over it.

Anonymous said...

Cracker barrels were actually just that many years ago. Thus, the name for the restaurant/country store. If someone uses it to offend others, that's of someone's own making. Just as I have been called "white cracker" by black folks before. That was in the days when we didn't think so much of our differences and had friends who argued and called each other names but we got over it and moved on. A part of growing up in a society of mixed races.

Anonymous said...

I agree. Cracker Barrel is the most racist name for a restaurant. I too have been called a cracker and it hurt me. I have Never cracked a whip on a slave. Makes me sick to think about it.

Anonymous said...

I don't care about it, myself. We aren't weak and fragile like some people, that require coddling, individual nurturing and full support to survive. And I don't want us to jump on the butt-hurt bandwagon. We're not like them.