Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, March 12, 2015

A Viewer Writes: WBOC 3-12-15

Hi,

I wake up to hear the news and weather every morning before work.
For 20 years WBOC has been my preferred choice, but now I channel surf away. It has become extremely tiresome to watch a reporter standing in pitch dark in front of empty buildings talking about something that is not happening on the site at that time. 

Why? It is ridiculous.
Also, the news has become almost exclusively Delaware news.
I like the personalities that do the news and weather (and I even
miss Cleo Green), but too much time is dedicated to dark, street-side comment when I want a quick capsule of news and weather before I start my day.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree. I have often wondered why those new people were standing out in the cold in front of a building where no news is happening at that time.

Anonymous said...

To qualify for TV news jobs in bigger markets, little market reporters have to have a minimum number of news clips showing them outside in the dark holding a microphone.

Anonymous said...

Probably because if the businesses were open they'd run the news crew off the property. I think it's called yellow stripe reporting. Report a story Whike no one is available to challenge the "facts" then run away.

Anonymous said...

My biggest problem with the news is the 8 minutes of commercials after every 3 minute news segment.. Time it and see for yourself.

Anonymous said...

Just move the station to Delaware.

pbdaddy said...

I left WBOC years ago when they say which county they are reporting on before, during and after a story, also too much Delaware news.

Anonymous said...

WBOC weather took a severe turn for the worse when they hired Dan Satterfield. Now it is all about putting on a show rather than good accurate forecasting. He hardly ever gives a forecast that is not qualified by "I can't rule out..." "you may even see...". He needs to move on to the Weather Channel where his brand of drama can be put to better use. "Let's talk about it."

Anonymous said...

Wher did Cleo go, I liked her.

Anonymous said...


It's all Happy Talk; 6 gallons of fluff and thimbleful of news.

The space/time filler of adding the town or county at the end of each snippet is the same as putting wider margins on your term paper to mask the lack of content.

I think it's interesting which car dealers have few ads there anymore...guessing they are putting their money into Fox Cable.

Hope WRDE can bump up their signal or put a repeater in SBY area so non-cable, non-satellite folks have an option.