Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Sunday, June 30, 2013

Gun Maker Rejects West Virginia

An executive of gun maker Beretta USA said Friday the company turned down offers from officials and groups in West Virginia to relocate to the state because of U.S. Sen. Joe Manchin's role in the gun control debate.

Jeffrey Reh, general counsel and vice-general manager, cited comments from the West Virginia Democrat targeting high-capacity ammunition magazines. He said the company also has concerns with a provision in the measure Manchin has co-sponsored with Sen. Patrick Toomey, a Pennsylvania Republican, to expand gun buyer background checks to gun shows and Internet sales.

Beretta, based in Accokeek, Md., believes Manchin has joined forces with Sen. Chuck Schumer, a New York Democrat and vocal gun control advocate, leading the company to question whether "West Virginia was a pro-gun as we thought," Reh said.

 More

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've been shopping as well as a MD resident. I need to move to a better state because, @ 59 yoa, there's no way Maryland will change back in my lifetime, as much as I would want it to. To me, it's a lost cause and all I can do is instruct my kids to work the change that is needed. What a shame I can't live in the same state as my children....