Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Sunday, June 30, 2013

AP Photographer Describes 128-Degree Heat

FURNACE CREEK, Calif. (AP) -- Associated Press photographer Chris Carlson is no stranger to heat. He grew up just outside Palm Springs, Calif. On Friday, he returned to his desert roots, leaving his home near Los Angeles and driving to the hottest place on earth on one of the hottest days of the year. Below, he describes what it is like to be in triple digit heat in Death Valley:

By 9 a.m., the two bags of ice I loaded in the cooler are gone and the floor of my rental car looks like a storage bin at a recycling plant. Hydration is essential.

I know what to expect in Death Valley: Unrelenting heat so bad it makes my eyes hurt, as if someone is blowing a hair dryer in my face. I don't leave CDs or electronics in the car because they could melt or warp. I always carry bottles of water.

 More

3 comments:

Anonymous said...


That could be why it's called death valley.

Anonymous said...

So, global warming is really not happening. If it was, there would be another record since then.... Am I missing something? I mean, this date is BEFORE the industrial revolution even happened!

Anonymous said...

Never been hot there before