Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, March 07, 2013

Minimum Wage Battle: Lawmakers Looking To Raise Minimum Wage

WASHINGTON (AP) - House and Senate Democrats want to raise the minimum wage to $10.10 an hour, more than a dollar higher than President Barack Obama proposed in his State of the Union address.

Iowa Sen. Tom Harkin and California Rep. George Miller say their bill, introduced Tuesday, would boost the minimum from its current rate of $7.25 an hour by 2015. It then calls for automatic annual increases tied to changes in the cost of living.

Obama's proposal last month called for an increase to $9 an hour, but Harkin says that doesn't go far enough.

Continue reading

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Hello double digit unemployment, haven't seen you in a while" We could flirt with 15-20% once this goes into effect.

Anonymous said...

It don't matter to me. The way I see it is if any of my employee's are only worth minimum wage they are not worth being employed by me. I feel that all my guys should bring that extra something to the table to make me say" yea that one is the one". Sorry ladies, got rid of all of you because of all the drama. I pay my guys good and they know I expect a productive day of work EVERY work day. I went from 25 people down to 4 guys plus me and as a team we could not be happier. The work gets done quicker and better and no one complains because we all know how hard the work is to come by. I see my guys getting another raise this year if things stay the same. Long as O'buttwipe stays in annapolis and lets us keep the money we worked hard for. It's a shame the gov't is the only legal mafia in the world. Pay them enough money they let you do what you want don't pay them......well we all know what happens.

Gary said...

Hmmmm....call me stupid but doesn't anyone in the State or Federal Gov't understand the concept of running a business? Go ahead and raise the minimum wage...and the business owners will raise their prices to accomadate the cost effect. Therefore is solves nothing you dumbasses.

Anonymous said...

Raising the minimum wage does nothing but reward unions whos contracts are based on mutiples of the minimum wage.

Anonymous said...

Many Union contracts are tied to the MW this is just a payoff to big labor.