Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, March 06, 2013

Maryland Drivers Could Pay 22 Cents More Per Gallon By 2015

Marylanders can expect to pay 2 cents more per gallon of gas this summer under a plan by Gov. Martin O'Malley to fund transportation projects, but that could jump to as much as 22 cents by 2015.

O'Malley's plan arrives at that price by slowly phasing in the state's sales tax over a number of years. It also cuts the flat 23.5-cent-per-gallon gas tax by 5 cents to 18.5 cents and indexes it to inflation. An aide in the governor's office said the cut to the gas tax was meant to lessen the impact of the sales tax.

Gasoline is currently exempt from the state's 6 percent sales tax. Two percent of the sales tax would be applied to gasoline sales on July 1, leading to about a 2-cent increase in prices after the gas tax cut, given Tuesday's statewide average per-gallon price of $3.73, according to auto club AAA.

More 

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I had a few reliable partners I'd open a gas station on the southbound lane of RT13 in Delmar Delaware. In 2 years nobody will be buying gasoline in Maryland unless they have no choice.

Anonymous said...

The north side of Delmar is within my regular traveling route.

That will probably kill a lot of businesses in this area.

I know of at least one that has stopped selling gas already and is focusing on other parts of their business.

Anonymous said...

W.T.F I am fed up with this BS.

Anonymous said...

Just have to get my gas in Delaware when I'm buying my alcohol!

Anonymous said...

Funny, no reply from our Governor when I emailed him about his gun legislation. Yet, they sure used my email address to spam the hell out of me with his gas tax/transportation bill. So glad I have hundreds of email address'.

Anonymous said...

Keep it up O'Malley you jerk. It is getting to the point to start looking for another state to live in. O'Malley is Obama's twin brother and could care less about the hard working people of this state. Money Money Money

Anonymous said...

Have not paid for gas in 8 years. One of the many life hacks I appreciate.

Anonymous said...

I HOPE EVERYBODY THAT VOTED FOR O'MYGOD, THE GOV. IS HAPPY.

Anonymous said...

I wonder which inflation rate they plan to use. Certainly not the one used to determine social security increases...