Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, November 06, 2012

Have You Really Given Up?

I just received a phone call from the Owner of Pohanka Automotive Group. Sandy explained how donations have just stopped.

Ladies & Gentlemen, perhaps you don't understand how severe things are down in Crisfield. Speaking as someone who has spent a lot of time down there looking at the destruction, going into many of the homes in the hardest hit areas of Crisfield, this is very serious and very dangerous.

I've walked into homes so soaked with water the floors felt like you were walking on a trampoline. I've seen homes where they are too afraid to put their soaked belongings outside in fear FEMA or the Mayor will condemn their homes. Remember Folks, their HVAC systems were under water and are destroyed. They have no heat!

These are people who have witnessed the first few people get vouchers to relocate, only to find out there's no place to go.

Look, Crisfield and Marion is no different from the Jersey Shore. The problem is, Crisfield isn't the Jersey Shore or NYC so they are not going to get the headlines and attention they are getting.

Aside from volunteering, I took the time to photo document as much as I could whenever I took a break. I believe I have delivered images that should prove things are that serious down there.

Can't you please stop by Pohanka and donate $20.00 and Pohanka will match those funds. I know you have things around your house you don't need any more. Blankets, pillows, linens, mattresses, heaters, furniture, appliances, soap, shampoo.

These are our neighbors and we can't just stop giving and let them slip away cold, hungry and homeless. Pohanka has provided an incredible opportunity to match anything you donate. Look, it doesn't get any better then that.

Think about the elderly and the children. Please stop by Pohanka Toyota and make a donation. Thank You so very much.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you know if anyone is planning a Thanksgiving dinner down there for the people who have no place to go?

Anonymous said...

I am planning to take several boxes to Pohanka Wednesday afternoon. Wish I could do more!!!

Anonymous said...

I went out this morning to place a donation with Pohanka - and on my way out of my development a Maryland State Trooper pulled me and issued a $25.00 citation for not having a seat belt. So I turned around and drove back home. Sorry to say - but my own local State policeman have hampered Crisfield's rescue effort.

Anonymous said...

SOOOO put on the seat belt. It could save YOUR life.

Anonymous said...

I wish I had money to give. I'd go back down to feed the hungry but they don't want people to do that because they want those people to leave.

Sad the way things work. When your orders come from local, regional and federal emergency management, not to help, when there is plenty of food, that's messed up.

I give Pohanka, Home Depot, Chandler's, and all those that gave time and work when they didn't have cash to give a big 10 thumbs up!

Anonymous said...

1:18 what right did that state trooper have stopping you?

oh now i get it - you think it is okay to break the law if you are going to Pohanka to help the Crisfield needy. No sympathy coming from me - you break the law - you pay price.

do you only not wear a seat belt when driving to Pohanka or is driving without a seatbelt a habit with you?

Anonymous said...

You don't have a seat belt? I find that odd in today's modern vehicles. Oh, I get it, you are trying to be funny and a SA at the same time.

Anonymous said...

Well, 1:18 that's just stupid and no one told you to break the law to give!!! Your ignorant and it showed when you turned around and went back home...that was your fault and you just let Crisfield pay for it!!!

Anonymous said...

Nope, He didn't 1:18----You Did it yourself---It's a shame when people can't take responsibility for their own misdoings. The Law is the Law & we are to abide by it. Not taking responsibility seems to be the norm in todays society----it's always someone elses fault. Anyone notice that or is it just me?

Anonymous said...

Responding to 3:05 comment

Funny - I to have got two citations for speeding through College avenue speed traps at BMS. I would have probably given but unfortunately I can't afford to give under he circumstances. Problem is there are way to many government regulations and impediments. Seems to be getting worse. First seatbelts, then cell phones, next it will be carryouts at Mickey D's. Wait and see - it is coming.

Anonymous said...

What do you guys want? For there to be no traffic laws & everyone just drive however they like? Yeah, our roads would be real nice then.

Anonymous said...

while i can agree that crisfield suffered greatly and its terrible to say its no different than the jersey shore is foolish and false. the town of Sea Side Heights has almost 3000 people living there now homless...almost every town on the shore almost 3 million people have been affected...I was in crisfield the day of the storm and can tell you most of the cars in that town were moved up 413 and higher ground. The homes will be condemned regardless if they arent safe.I do hope people will continue to donate to these people as they dearly need it at this time!But i think if someone is going to go through the trouble to write they should at least state the facts. the people of crisfield will come back!

Anonymous said...

What do you guys want? For there to be no traffic laws & everyone just drive however they like? Yeah, our roads would be real nice then.

November 6, 2012 6:30 PM

Where have you been? They have been driving that way for years.