Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, November 19, 2012

Eastern Shore Chili Like You've Never Seen Before

This weekend I went by a friends home in Pittsville where they prepared and cooked 40+ gallons of chili. This was their 8th year doing so. 50 pounds of onions. 80 pounds of ground beef. $500.00 in all went into the materials to deliver some of the best chili I've ever eaten.

I arrived at 7:00 AM to help in the cooking process. The wooden thing you see in the pot is actually an new oar to stir the pot. Once it was finished friends and neighbors started arriving and let me tell you, the entire pot was gone in three hours.

You just gotta love the Eastern Shore!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

So cool. My family would love that!

Anonymous said...

What a fun thing to do!

Anonymous said...

After which you guys had an unforgettable Blazing Saddles moment around the campfire.

Anonymous said...

It was excellent. I ate three bowls. They let those with containers fill them upon leaving. I sure wish I had a container with me.
Thank you Rick and Pat! And of course all of those that helped.

Anonymous said...

I was just reading somewhere that a cup of the mornings left over coffee goes well in a pot of chili. I have to give that tip a try.

Anonymous said...

Our family tradition was making 50 gallons of apple butter in a copper kettle.That took at least 12 hours.The chili is a great idea.

Anonymous said...

To salvage this great civic event do not expose the location. If you do next year the Wicomico Co. health dept. will show up to see if they have proper permits followed by the EPA to inspect the wood they are burning, followed by the Waterkeepers Alliance to make sure that if it rains the runoff wont go into their flower beds. Oh, and is that paddle they are using OSHA approved?

Anonymous said...

I once made 20 gallons of wine from my grapevines! does that count? It tasted like cra8, but ya got a buzz and it didn't make you sick! I've done better since then, but in smaller quantities.

Anonymous said...

Another blog I frequent (google "Amish Stories blog" to find it) has a recipe for Pres Reagan's Favorite Chili posted on Nov.
6th, 2012. It sounds interesting and calls for an optional 2 cups of red wine. This blog has quite a few great recipes with ingredients I have alot of times on hand or are easy to find in grocery stores.

Anonymous said...

7:59-The wine is also useful in chili when ground deer meat is used instead of hamburger.It gets rid of the wild taste.On the other hand some folks like the wild taste.

Anonymous said...

8:39 I'm beginning to think this wild taste alot of people don't like in deer meat is actually the way meat is supposed to taste without all the solutions added and pink slime. We're used to Slime Burgers so when we get real ground beef or ground deer, until you get used to it, it does have a peculiar taste.