Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Debt Ceiling Looms, As Bill For Sandy Mounts

While lawmakers scramble to avoid a catastrophic budget meltdown known as the "fiscal cliff," the nation also is fast approaching its borrowing limit -- and expenses like the nearly $100 billion tab for superstorm Sandy damage are only pushing the nation further into a rising sea of red ink.

A new report released Tuesday by an independent group warns that the federal government is weeks away from hitting its debt ceiling -- and, unless debt limits are raised, it risks defaulting on its loans.

According to an analysis from the Bipartisan Policy Center, the government is projected to reach its current statutory debt limit of $16.4 trillion in the last week of December.

More 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to care. Now I realize they will mathematically figure out what number to raise the debt to so we won't reach it until after the next election.

Oh, after much discussion, nail biting, hand wringing, and lip biting, of course! They feel they at least have to LOOK like they give a crap before stealing our monetary system!

Bipartisan rape; bend over, America!

Anonymous said...

Yeah 8:51 and we dont even get a kiss.
i say let it all expire and work on a permanent solution. At least then both sides will have incentive to do something. If the gop cops out and gives the king and his merry men what they want to avoid this catastophe they will never get the cuts in spending needed.

Anonymous said...

This just continues to instill the fear into the people that the government wants.

I used to care a lot more and even thought at one time I could be part of the solution.

I've been worried about the unemployment extension part of this cliff. It could mean being between owning a home and being homeless.

I guess as long as I have friends and family I'll never be homeless, I only hope.

I have give up on worrying to death about this damn cliff that gets shoved down our throats daily by the media.

Right now, the government is printing $85,000,000,000 a month to help stimulate the economy. I figure if 2,000,000 are about to lose their unemployment, and the extension is just a drop in the bucket of that huge sum at the top.

Damn the freakin' cliff! If I have to go over the cliff I won't be alone and will just be changing lines, from the unemployment line to the welfare line.

This continued political posturing is what is killing America, in the end I'm sure they will all meet on something to make them all smile like they have really acomplished something.

How we got so far in this hole is no longer the question, blame Reagan, Bush1, Bush2, Clinton, Obama, blame whoever you want. I now look at this debt as an investment in our future.

If we can't invest in our future then there is no hope for any help, of any kind. The one thing I do understand is, when, if I ever get back to the work force my part of this investment will be higher taxes to pay back my part of this feeding frenzy.