Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, October 03, 2012

The Mom Stays in the Picture

Last weekend, my family traveled to attend my oldest niece's Sweet Sixteen party. My brother and sister-in-law planned this party for many months and intended it to be a big surprise, and it included a photo booth for the guests.

I showed up to the party a bit late and, as usual, slightly askew from trying to dress myself and all my little people for such a special night out. I'm still carrying a fair amount of baby weight and wearing a nursing bra, and I don't fit into my cute clothes. I felt awkward and tired and rumpled.

I was leaning my aching back against the bar, my now 5-month-old baby sleeping in a carrier on my chest
(despite the pounding bass and dulcet tones of LMFAO blasting through the room) when my 5-year-old son ran up to me.

More 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This mom has a wonderful spin on momhood/parenthood. These little ones grow so quickly, a blink and that baby is toddling, another blink and they are off to Pre-K, then Kindergarten, and before you know it, that are graduating from high school. I applaud her spin and am sure her children will have fond memories of their childhold.

Anonymous said...

Joe, this is so true. So often the Moms (and sometimes Dads) are behind the camera taking the shots.

On one side of the family, my grandfather took all the shots, and now he is gone, so I don't have a single picture of him holding me as a baby.

On the other side, my grandmother took all the shots, now SHE is gone, and I don't have a single picture of her holding me as a baby.

Seriously, if you love your husband or wife, take a candid picture of them from time to time WITH the child. The situation with the grandmother I have no pictures of? I have tons of that grandfather with me, tons of my parents with me, and I am just so sad that no one stopped to think to take one of her. I even asked, did she object to having her picture taken? No, was the answer. My dad looked sheepish and just said, "Nobody thought to offer, including me."

Of all the people in my life, she more than anyone except my parents gave me what I needed in life and I have no pictures of her cuddling me, even though she did it all the time.

Anonymous said...

I have to admit I avoid being in pictures for all the reasons this mom stated. She has opened my eyes, and I will make an effort to step out from behind the camera, and get in front of it.