Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Where Were You In '62?

Fifty years ago, in the summer of 1962, America was a far different place than it is today. President John Kennedy was presiding over Camelot and despite fouling up the invasion of Cuba, his approval rating hovered around 80%. Unemployment was 5.2% with the average family income at $6,000 a year.

Most Americans did not have much money but made do. Millions bought Elvis Presley's record "Return to Sender" and went to see "Lawrence of Arabia" in movie theaters. At home, "Wagon Train" was the top TV show.

Years later, the film "American Graffiti" featured the ad campaign "Where were you in '62?" Well, I was on Long Island, hanging around. During the day, we swam at the Levittown pool, played stickball in the street, and in August my father took us to a lake in Vermont. Also, we went to Jones Beach and baked in the sun without block while second hand cigarette smoke engulfed us on the blanket.

My folks had little disposable income, certainly not enough for air conditioning or a color television set. But, again, there was little whining in my working class neighborhood. We had fun with what was available. Most everybody worked. Nobody was on welfare.

In fact, just 6% of Americans received welfare payments in 1962. Now that number is 35%. More than 100 hundred million of us are getting money from the government, and that does not count Social Security and Medicare, programs workers pay into. This is a profound change in the American tradition.

Also, we now have close to nine million workers collecting federal disability checks. In 2001, that number was about five million. Here's my question: is the workplace that much more hazardous than it was 11 years ago? Are we that much more unhealthy?

The answer is no. What we are seeing is the rise of the nanny state.

More

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not born.

Anonymous said...

On this date in 1962 I was at Camp Pecometh,where I went in 61,62, and 63.Great memories.I was 9.My parents had a 1960 Chevy.During our return trip to SBY we stopped at a restaurant in Kent Island.I had swordfish steak which spoiled me for life.Summers were'nt as hot then.

Anonymous said...

You are right,Joe, everybody worked then. My dad was a mechanic and worked two jobs, my mom worked in a sewing factory all day. We didn't have that much money, but I was a very happy kid. We had dinner together every night and we watched decent TV shows at night together. We went to church on Sunday together and visited family often. Now our kids can't say the Lord's Prayer in school, this country's morals are lousy and we are in more debt than any of us ever dreamed of. Oh, how I long for those times again.

Anonymous said...

On this day in 1962 my day was spent at the local spring-fed stone quarry, swimming and fishing for punkinseeds and bullheads in chilly water with my friends, who were between the ages of 10 and 14. It was a five mile bike ride over country roads to get there, but it was worth it. Nobody ever drowned.
My dad worked full time in a factory, the same one my grandfather did, and part time as a country grocery/gas station clerk and postman. My mom, with her 15 year old high school diploma, found work as a data processor for a large insurance company twenty five miles away. They, with my two sisters, lived in a 1200 square foot, 3 bedroom single story house on a slab they bought in 1960 for $10 grand. We had a black and white tv - only rich people had color tv.

My dad retired with 35 years with the company, just in time to collect his retirement after the company (they made cables) went south, literally and then figuratively. I feel sorry for all of those people who worked 20 and more years there and didn't get anything but the paycheck and pink slip.
Life wasn't hard, but it was demanding. All of the kids paid our own way through college. We all worked from the time we were 12, doing the kind of work that kids could do - lawnmowing, babysitting, delivering papers, working at the general store, picking up bottles from ditches for deposit money. Later it was larger work, and at 14 we each never really had a summer off. Not to say we didn't have fun, but it wasn't the same as lazing through 90 days of nothing to do but play and/or get in trouble.
We kids paid our own ways through college and, lo and behold, we're all financially better off than our parents were. But it wasn't a cakewalk for any of us. My sisters still work full time, with their husbands, putting their kids through college and paying off houses and cars. I'm paying off my kids' college with my retirement and part time work when it's around, which is less and less often.

Anonymous said...

1:35 OMG! Your comment about Camp Pecometh bought back wonderful memories to me! I was there too as a child back then. I still remember the song, Pe-co-m eth spells Pecometh, Pecometh. That's the only decient kind of camp, camp, the guy that made it must have been a champ, champ. etc. Both of my parents worked and after renting for years, finally bought a house. In the summer, I played outside all day long and only came back when I heard the familar holler from the back door. We did not have all of the cool things back then that kids have now and I would not change it for a thing! If I ever heard of welfare back then, it was in a serious talk that I endured about I'm only thinking about your own welfare.

Anonymous said...

In 1962 I was in the Navy stationed at Naval Station, Roosevelt Roads, Puerto Rico. I was a member of the U. S. Navy "Hurricane Hunters" squadron. San Juan was about 40 miles away, and I had opportunity to visit U. S. Virgin Islands (St. John,also). We also were very much aware of the "Cuban Crisis" looming in the weeks to come.

Anonymous said...

memory tends to fade as time goes by and we are more inclined to remember the 'good times' versus the bad.

I'm not that much different than most that believe times were simpler and better back in the day.

We have made huge strides since then. Big advancements in medicine, technology, just about any area you wish to name.

We often wish we could return to those days, of course we cannot.

It says we are seeing the rise of the nanny state. I believe we are also seeing the fall of modern civilization.

The bible foretold of times similar to these we are currently entering.

History has shown us that we cannot continue on much longer at the pace and manner of which we are traveling.

I am constantly being reminded of ancient Rome in our actions and circumstances.

No society can survive when the resources being depleted are not being renewed at at least the same pace.

Sorry to fog up the rose colored glasses of some of you. We need to start being responsible again for our future.

If we don't, and soon, we won't have one.