Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Preppers View - Firearms Training

As mentioned before on the Preppers View, owning firearms and being proficient in their use is essential. From self-defense to hunting, the value of good firearms and marksmanship skills cannot be over stated. What should also be mentioned is the importance of frequent firearms training. In a perfect world we could spend all day every saturday shooting our favorite weapons but for most of us, the lack of a place to shoot, the lack of free time, or the increasing cost of ammunition make that impossible.

The lack of free time is something we may be able to address by moving things around and rearranging our priorities. Ammunition costs can be reduced by finding someone who can reload your spend casings (this is another reason networking is important). But finding a place to shoot can be a real problem. Some of us may have enough land to permit us to shoot right at home. Others may live in an area where that's not possible. While I live on 5 acres of land, I elect to shoot at Zeke's range off of Rt. 50 in Mardela Springs since it's only 5 minutes from my house. The lanes are already set up, tables are under roof, and the range is set up for pistols, small bore rifles, and a large bore rifle range out to 300 yards. Why would I spend my time and money re-inventing the wheel? The only thing missing is a tactical obstacle course. For me, going to a professional range is beneficial for many reasons but everyones situation is different. As long as you get out there and shoot. That's what is important.

There may be people who read this blog that have the ability to reload various types of ammunition and would be willing to reload ammunition for other preppers in exchange for money, extra spent brass casings, spare primers/powder/bullets, fresh vegetables, etc. Knowing people who are able to do this type of thing is an important part of creating a prepper network.

Anyone interested in reloading ammunition or bartering/buying reloaded ammunition, or anything else for that matter, can go to a site just opened by a couple of friends of mine who hope to facilitate trades.

http://delmarvatrader.blogspot.com/

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I go to that range too. The price just went up a little but still a great deal. The owner retired from the State Police years and years ago. I reload but not good enough to where I would sell them to anyone. I might trade them for something. I do it to save money. Either way I agree with you. We don't shoot as much as we should and we do talk about that. I would like to get together with more like minded people and shoot sometime. Prepper I think we shot there at the same time before.

Anonymous said...

I will go there too now. I didn't ven know they were there. I actually live right down the road too. Off of 54.

Anonymous said...

Is that Delmarva Sporting Clays you're speaking of?

Anonymous said...

Yes.....that's exactly what it's called. I think they call the owner Zeke.

Anonymous said...

Do You only shoot the guns you bring or do they have 'loaners'? Do they check if they are registered?

Anonymous said...

I don't know if they have loaners. I've been there a couple of times and I know they give you targets, a staple gun and staples. The only guns that have to be registered are the ones you buy from a dealer or regulated guns like pistols and assault weapons. Even an old pistol you inherited from your grandfather may not be registered but it's still legal. They don't check for weapon registration.

Anonymous said...

8:44 PM

Okay, thanks for the info.

Anonymous said...

You live near Delmarva Sprting Clys? Do you drive a black chevy 4x4?

Prepper2k12 said...

Yes I do drive a black Chevy. It's hard to beat the bow tie. Why do you ask?

Anonymous said...

Yep. Thought so. Your initials are J.T. right?

Prepper2k12 said...

Please stop. If you think you know who I am (it appears that you do) please stop and introduce yourself when you see me. I'm always interested in meeting new people. The goal is, after all, to create a network. But please. No more indicators of who I am on the internet as they will not be posted. Thank You.

Balanced Libra said...

Is there an age limit to participate? What is their pricing?