Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, December 08, 2011

American Sentenced To Prison For Thai Royal Insult

A court in Thailand sentenced a U.S. citizen to two and a half years in prison Thursday for defaming the country's royal family by translating excerpts of a locally banned biography of the king and posting them online.

The verdict is the latest so-called lese majeste punishment handed down in the Southeast Asian kingdom, which has come under increasing pressure at home and abroad to reform harsh legislation that critics say is an affront to freedom of expression.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Here's a little trick I use. When planning travel outside the U.S., I always take into the account that no other countries follow the U.S. Constitution. They have their own individual sets of laws, some of which are pretty nasty. I'd be willing to bet that in some country or another just dressing like I do or being of religious belief is illegal. I would plan to either not visit there or, if I found myself having to go through there, at least avoid publicly and in writing expressing my distaste to all others around me.

Call me crazy, but that's the way I roll. Oh. p.s., I'm writing this sitting in my easy chair in the USA just before going out to the store to shop a while. Ta ta!