Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, October 20, 2011

In Case You Hadn't Noticed


Today we've elected to make some changes to Salisbury News. Rather than bombarding the Site with a million articles per day, we're attempting to limit the volume of articles while providing as much local news as possible per day.

Mind you, there are many days when there just isn't a whole lot of local stuff going on. So we'll adapt each day as we continue with such mentioned changes.

One thing you'll see different is more of the local stuff in the early morning hours. We'll provide articles every 15 minutes, (as usual) and throw in the more breaking news in between. So DON'T complain when an article gets buried, there's no way around it. If its a hot story we'll keep bumping it up like we usually do.

Since I'm up really early in the morning each day, I started posting at 5:00 AM this morning to give the early birds something more to look at. We've also changed the weather to 5:00 AM instead of 7:00 AM.

You'll see more of the political news from 2:00 PM to 4:00 PM and we're not going to run all the way to midnight every week day any more, unless there's that much news to share. So just know that we'll be breaking in throughout each day with current real time information. For example, 8:07, 8:23, 8:37, 8:53 and so forth.

We'll see how this format works for a few days and see if every one likes it. Let us know what you think.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like that the political stuff is later in the day. Hopefully that will enable some good discussions.

Anonymous said...

I've enjoyed the high number of posts on your site. I feel you cover all of the different areas of interest each day.
I come HERE to find out what's going on, whether it be local or national.
One request I do have is, can you do something about the site taking so long to load? It locks everything up while it's loading. I'm thinking it's the ads loading. Can you decrease the pixels in the ads or something to make them all load faster?
Thanks a bunch and keep up the GREAT work!!

Anonymous said...

I like your news thoughts on your site. Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

I prefer to come to this site for local and political news affecting our area. Thank you for going back to that.

Anonymous said...

I'd appreciate seeing the weather for the following day shown in early evening, around 5:30 or six so I can get my clothes out for the following day accordingly.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous 6:55pm - We are now posting the weather at 5:00am every single day. We saw the need to do this for early riser's like yourself. Thank you for your support.

Anonymous said...

I like that the political stuff is later in the day. Hopefully that will enable some good discussions.

October 20, 2011 11:08 AM

I would love to see some good discussion on this site regardless of the topic.

From what I have seen, most that do comment have to be rude and call others names to try and make a point. Shouting down and ridiculing anyone who challenges what someone else has said is not conductive to discussion.

Keeping an open mind and LISTENING to what others have to say would be beneficial to all who read such comments.

Some just refuse to acknowledge that they may be wrong. They is a right way to illustrate someone's mistake and wrong information without calling them idiots, morons and the like.

I have noticed lately that the comments in general have reduced. I suspect for these reasons.

There needs to be more maturity and common sense AND courtesy on here.

More intellect and less emotional, or at least controlled emotional responses would be greatly welcomed.

Joseph Albero said...

anonymous 8:33, I will take that into consideration.

Allow me to throw out some facts. So far, Salisbury News has produced 49,992 articles on Blogger. We have PUBLISHED 321,994 comments, so far.

Mind you, those are just the comments we published. There's probably another 100,000 we've rejected.

Now that's not only a LOT of work, it comes to more than 6 comments per post.

Show me ANY other Blog or MSM outlet that can produce these kind of numbers with such volume of articles.

Comments aren't down. We're just not allowing the nut crazies from years past to publish anything and everything they want.

maurice said...

joe,first off keep up he good work,always improving on a already great site.i dont always agree with you but i dont come on here and bash you or anything.best site ive found for up to date local news.i know you can stand with pride for job well done

Anonymous said...

And another thing I have learned is that unlike actually speaking to someone where you can hear their voice, picking up tones and variances in their speech, you cannot do that typing on the internet and sometimes misunderstandings arise from this.

I am guilty of this as well. I sometimes misunderstand what someone has said or meant. And others have misunderstood me.

One really needs to explain themselves well in an internet setting. Sometimes I forget to do that or assume people will know what I mean, which of course everyone knows what happens when on assumes.

You've done a helluva job in the past seven years. And I am quite sure you will be here in another seven years, and more.

No one can deny you provide a much needed service to this area. Kudos and thanks.

Anonymous said...

Joe, I think it is a good idea for you to limit both the number and scope of your stories. I read your site for local and sometimes state news. I don't read it for national news or consumer stories. These stories clog up my news feed. I routinely am clicking thorugh 150+ unread posts from your blog and finding the content that everyone comes to your blog for can sometimes be like finding a needle in a haystack. Also, when big stories don't stay posted all day or on the first page all day, the conversation on the comments lags.
I'm glad you're making this change!