Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, August 20, 2010

Just How Important Is The States Attorney Race In Wicomico County




One thing that truly amazes me about the States attorney race in Wicomico County AND Worcester County is the fact that most of the candidates chose NOT to do an interview with Salisbury News.

It has been reported that Seth Mitchell believes Joe Albero doesn't like him, so he refused to do one. Since when is this about Joe Albero? I have proven to be fair with each and every candidate. I bit my toungue in many interviews and did everything in my power to keep from expressing any emotions as well.

That being said, Seth, are you just as afraid of other attorneys when you go to trial? If you think you're going to get beat, do you just settle cases out of court?

Moving on, Davis Ruark also chose not to do an interview until after the primary. I should add, the same can be said for Joel Todd in Worcester County. Both men stated they have too much on their plate. No matter their strategy and or excuses, each of these candidates serve at the pleasure of the citizens and in my honest opinion they should step forward and express their answers to our questions. They have the experience to do these interviews and quite frankly I think it is somewhat a smack in the face to those who vote/voted for each of them.

Matt Maciarello has stated from day one that he will follow whatever Davis Ruark chose to do. Considering Matt doesn't have a primary, it makes sense. However, getting your message out there to the voting public and even perhaps taking advantage of the fact that the other two candidates have chosen not to do their interviews, I would have jumped at the opportunity.

Now, Salisbury News is not the greatest thing ever to happen to Wicomico County or the Eastern Shore and I'm not upset that many candidates chose not to do an interview, that's their choice. Salisbury News wanted to give each and every candidate an opportunity to put their best foot forward. We have an audience 2nd to none, there's no denying that any more. The mere fact that this Blog did some 38 interviews speaks volume. The local MSM, (WBOC & WMDT) chose to sit back and not go through the time and expense of providing such a format and quite frankly I can't blame them. It is extremely time consuming and in their case, air time is money.

However, what are the biggest issues facing Wicomico County right now Folks? CRIME!!!

Many of us want answers and playing CHESS is not acceptable to me, nor should it be for you. Like Joe Albero or not, I have proven to show respect for each and every candidate and their excuses simply will not fly.

That being said, I think it's important enough to make one last offer to each of these candidates to step up to the plate and do an interview. The questions are the same as I asked Beau Oglesby, (the only candidate willing to put it all on the line). I am willing to take time this weekend and or early next week to do so.

If you hadn't ever noticed just how busy my schedule is each and every day, let me assure you of one thing, IT IS VERY BUSY! This is by far one of the most important races in Wicomico County and it should be treates as such.

I'll close with this. Each candidate should know that this is one of the biggest questions I get asked, why won't Davis and Matt do an interview. Last Call Gentlemen.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree, many questions need to be asked of all candidates. There is also a very interesting DA race in Somerset County and I'm sure you would give them the opportunity to come in for an interview as well. Frankly, it looks like they are all afraid of you Joe. One thing is for sure, you are just as busy as they are so they shouldn't use that for an excuse. By the way, what happened to Ruarks mustache?

Anonymous said...

With all due respect , most of the interviews were a little boring. I think that an old fashion debate would have been the thing to do.
That way there would be no tap dancing around the issues .
As far as Davis Ruark , he is a shoe in and most everyone knows it.

Anonymous said...

I don't agree with you 10:55 but if you are correct the people of Wicomico county deserve what they get. I also don't agree that the interviews were boring, I enjoyed them. They were certainly more informing than anything I've seen on TV or heard on radio. I also would like to know where Davis's womb broom is!

Anonymous said...

The interviews were almost entirely "boring" due in part to lack of pointed follow-up questions about specific issues and positions, and the focus on only a few matters. Also, you tended to approve or agree with most of the responses by your comments.

But, they were better than what anyone else has done, including our "mainstream media".

J.Albero said...

anonymous 11:38, if they were so boring, why do you make it sound like you're an expert on such matters. It would mean you watched quite a few to come up with that "boring" opinion.

Considering there was only 10 minutes for each candidate, we saved any follow up for the end, (if there was enough time). Some candidates were long winded with their answers and there just wasn't time for follow up questions.

More importantly, now you know what to ask these candidates at the upcoming forums.

You see, I did all the hard work for you. Now all you have to do is ask follow up questions, which is more than any of the local television MSM provided.

So, you're welcome for the service we provided.

Anonymous said...

11:11-I said "a little boring", little is a small portion of something.
I didn't say it was a poor job.
Some very interesting facts and
issues were talked about. Please don't make a mountain out of a mole hill.

Anonymous said...

You sure were fair to Mr. & Mrs. Brewington, weren't you?

J.Albero said...

anonymous 12:15, I most certainly was. I gave Julie and Mike Brewington the exact same invitation as everyone else.

However, Mike & Julie aren't strong enough candidates to face the exact same questions I asked everyone else.

Clear evidence they are useless candidates for the Eastern Shore.

I'll add, I even received phone calls from other public figures telling me they not only laughed at the broadcast we did of Julie, they stated they wouldn't mind if I used the same humor on them!

It was comedy. Get over it.

Let me add a thank you to Julkie and Mike for not only saving me from wasting my time but also to all of the viewers following Salisbury News. Another special thanks goes out to Mike Calpino and Chris Lewis. Look out Boys, the sky is falling!

Anonymous said...

Joe there have been a couple of forums where these three have spoken. I agree the interviews would be nice. I think this race one would need a little more then ten mimutes to speak. This county has the Foxwell case to complete. Who ever wins will inherit this case.

That alone is a huge concern.

Lets face it the tradgedy of losing Sam Vincent hurt more then anyone will ever know.

Seth is a liberal and has worked both sides of the fence. I just dont see him doing the job. One has to have charisma to go with the skill set. Seth could put a man in a coma in less then twenty seconds. He has done well as a defense attorney. Just not S/A material.

Davis and Matt are the front runners in my book. We all know the the story line with Davis. There is no need to rehash it.

In my book Matt is the best gamble of the three and that is what it is a gamble. We get more of the same or brand spanking new. I would not be concerned if Davis where to win. Davis is one of the best there is. The question is has he risen from his slide. Only time will tell. If losing a life long friend did not wake him then I dont know what will.

I think you have done a great job on the interviews. I think the fear factor is when they are completed what your position will be. Hence the no shows.

J.Albero said...

anonymous 12:21, excelent analysis!

You are right in the sense that I will be providing MY endorsements at the end of all of these interviews.

This has to be one of the most difficult positions I have ever been placed in because many of these candidates are also personal friends of mine. I'll add, I hold the highest respect for each and every one of the people who interviewed with me as well.

While many can have their own opinions on each candidate, (including yourself, referencing Ruark) many are forgetting that they really don't know these candidates all that well. I have spent the last 6 years getting to know most of them inside and out. I have also spent 6 years going to meetings, press conferences and participated in numerous activities in which many of these people were involved.

I took the additional time to sit with these candidates to get to know them better before and after these interviews and I would hope that when I do deliver my endorsements, people will respect, (especially the candidates) why I chose who I want representing the Eastern Shore.

The ONLY forums these individuals have spoken at are FOP Forums. I wasn not invited to these forums, nor was the general public, which is unfortunate.

While Seth makes the claim I don't like him, there is absolutely no truth to that statement at all. The ONLY thing I have said about Seth is that he represented Thomas Leggs several times.

Thanks for your comment.

Anonymous said...

"too much on their plates"
Well what about us voters who have to much on our plates to attend pie eating contests and wine and cheese parties? It's alot easier for most voters to just tune into the 10 minute interviews on SbyNews.

Anonymous said...

Joe,
It will be interesting to see who you endorse since many of these candidates are personal friends and you do seem to lean in their direction sometimes. This is kind of a test of just how open-minded you are as an editor/publisher.

IMHO, some of your friends need to move on and new blood needs a chance....we'll all be waiting to see your conclusions on who is the best candidate for each position.

Avid Follower

Anonymous said...

A friend of mine is casting a write in vote for Sam Vincent in honor of his memory. Sounds like a good idea to me, I am undecided on the three running....have to pick from the best of what ya got...

Anonymous said...

Mr. Albero - you and your blog need to get over yourselves! The citizens in Wicomico County will vote for whomever they chose, without any say so or endorsement from you whatsoever. We will vote on the competency of the candidates regardless of your opinion, swayed or not.

J.Albero said...

anonymous 2:45, Are you trying to say you have been to as many meetings with these people than I have?

Look, you have the right to your opinion but I have the right to mine as well. Like it or not, what I will have to say in the end will influence many people.

I don't do this for a hobby. Well, maybe I do at times but in reality I go to these meetings and get to know these people for a reason.

I'll close with this. I know how many people come to this Site every day for information, you do not. To claim that I will have no influence is just plain stupid. This isn't a Blog where I spend all day attacking another Blogger and simply get visits to see where the next train wreck will be.

Because tens of thousands of people each and ever day come here day after day, like it or not, the people I endorse will probably win their elections. Mind you, I'm confident that one or two of them probably will not win, BUT they should.