Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, June 03, 2010

STATEMENT FROM FIRST LADY KATIE O’MALLEY REGARDING THE PASSING OF THEIR FAMILY GOLDEN RETRIEVER LADY

ANNAPOLIS, MD (June 3, 2010) – First Lady Katie O’Malley today issued the following statement following the passing of the O’Malley family Golden Retriever, Lady. Lady was 13 years old and she was euthanized on Friday, May 14, 2010. The decision to euthanize Lady was made in consultation with the family veterinarian who had treated Lady for over 3 years.

”A few weeks ago, we had to make a very difficult decision, and euthanized our family Golden Retriever, Lady. My children and Lady grew up together – she was a part of our family for over 10 years – and we are very sad to lose her.”

“When we first got Lady, we adopted her from a woman who had health issues. Her kids were older and she wanted Lady to be around kids that would enjoy playing with her. My kids loved her instantly – she was very gentle with them – they would lay on her and watch TV. They loved her and she loved them.”

“When she was younger, every Sunday, Lady would run 10 miles with me at Loch Raven. She loved to chase squirrels and jump in the dam.”

“And as she got older, she got really attached to Martin and would get very sad when he left the house. When he returned, even when her hips got bad, she would go crazy jumping and barking. She liked sleeping at the side of our bed right next to Martin. He used to sing songs to her and she loved it.”

“Lady O’Malley will be missed dearly.”

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very sad. I'm sure they will miss her dearly.

Anonymous said...

I don't understand why a person feels they have the right to end the life of a living creature. When humans get sick with arthritis, or cancer, or some other serious disease, do we euthanize them??? No, we do everything we can to make their lives comfortable. The only person who should decide when one's life should end is God, and only God. Dogs are special too.

Anonymous said...

10:08 you're special too.

J.Albero said...

anonymous 10:08, you must be very young. So you believe humans should have to suffer through cancer, knowing it will kill you, knowing you'll be in severe pain, knowing you only have days left to live?

I know, do what the Doctors do. Pump them up with drugs so they have no clue who they are in their final days and ease the pain, right?

Putting an animal down is never an easy choice but making them suffer is just wrong. I believe humans should have the same rights.

That being said, I disagree with any Humane Society that simply kills an animal because they can't find a home for it within a certain amount of days. I also have issues with the Salisbury Zoo killing off animals because they're not exotic enough to keep. Many people bring animals to the Zoo because they were injured or found without their mother. Why save a squirrel, a fawn or a robin, right?

Alex said...

Wow Joe! I can't believe I actually agree with you on an issue.
If you haven't yet, watch "You Don't Know Jack" on HBO

Anonymous said...

10:08 When humans get sick do we euthanize them???...no we don't but after watching family members suffer the prolonged experience that modern medicine often makes of a terminal illness I think sometimes our loved ones have to endure much much worse than the compassionate care we are able to give our beloved animals. I dread the day that any of my furry babies leave me, but if I am able to help them go in comfort and peace, I will do so.

Anonymous said...

10:08 My dog was sick with cancer. After 12 wonderful years with her by my side I had to make a decision. I didn't do it just to get rid of her or blamed it on the cancer. Her doctor kept her comfortable for more than a year. He told me on our last visit that I would know when it was time. He explained that I'd know when she started to suffer. One morning I woke up and went to put her outback. She just laid there looking up at me. I knew in that moment. I called his office as soon as they opened and he got on the phone, let me know he'd be over as soon as he closed at the end of the day. We had agreed in that last visit that I wanted it done at home where she'd be comfortable. All day long her human friends along with a few femine friends came by to see her one last time. That day was filled with lots of tears by all of us. When one of her feline friend's came inside, he went straight to her rubbing his body all over her head. I knew he understood she was sick but also understood how close those two were. For a few brief moments I was thinking clear enough to grab my camera, I have those moments with the two of them forever saved. On 5/31 it was the four year mark of her passing. I know deep down I did the right thing. She didn't suffer at all in the end. If anything, she gave me another 18 months before that morning. I will always miss her but I know she's at peace.