Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, April 26, 2010

Mike Harpool Of Delmar Wins A Tough Fight








Not that long ago I wrote an article about a young man from Delmar who is bound to a wheel chair having to fight a tough battle taking his three young children to and from Delmar Elementary.

Now just imagine being permanently bound to a wheel chair for starters. Then imagine having three young children living 1/2 mile from their school and having to take them back and forth every day, yet the sidewalks don't have handicap ramps. Oh, it gets worse. Now go back to this past winter and the snow storms we had. Sidewalks weren't cleared so Mike had to travel down the middle of the road and trust me Folks, both sides of the road are jammed packed with vehicles, making it impossible for two way traffic, let alone one way to boot.

Then, (as pictured above) there was only one handicap ramp directly in front of the school and trust me, each and every day someone would park right in front of that ramp making it impossible for Mike to utilize it. Mind you, Mike would have to again travel down the middle of a very busy street in order to get to that ramp.

Learning of this problem, I contacted County Executive Rick Pollitt and asked if there was any way he could help. Rick immediately replied, no problem at all Joe. I'll get Mike an exemption and have a Bus take his children to and from school every day. Well, that wouldn't work simply because Mike truly enjoys getting out twice a day to take his children to and from school.

I then contacted Carl Anderton, one of the Delmar Town Council Members. Carl immediately got the ball rolling and made some phone calls. He called me back within a half hour and said no matter what the deal is, whether the BOE paid for it or the Town of Delmar, new ramps would be installed immediately and they'll settle the cost at a later point.

Low and behold, the very next trip I made to Delmar Elementary they had already torn apart the sidewalks where Mike has to travel and they immediately installed handicap ramps.

On Friday I stopped by the school and the next thing I knew, Fernando Guerrero was there to see his Niece in a talent show. I shared the story with Fernando and he said, Is Mike Here? I walked him over to Mike, (hence the photo above) and Fernando spent some quality time with Mike and his children.

I was then informed by the Principal that they are now working on an emergency plan to widen the road to make things much safer than they currently are. It's simply amazing what a little research can do and my hat is tipped to Rick Pollitt, Carl Anderton and the Staff at Delmar Elementary.

13 comments:

doug wilkerson said...

Thats a heart warming story, nice to hear a good one every now and then.

Anonymous said...

Typical government employee thinking.... Lets spend extra money on a temporary fix (the bus) to solve one persons problem.... rather than solve the problem permanently for future generations.

I'm glad they did the right thing but this short term thinking has got to stop.

joey holland said...

what a nice story Joe, this is why i love you.

Anonymous said...

9:36 Maybe your "typical government employee" thinking found a way for an immediate, yet temporary fix while a permanent one was in the works. Good job to ALL who had a hand in the outcome!

Anonymous said...

10:45. I'd like to think so but I doubt it; I am biased due to working as a subcontractor for Local, State, and Federal government agencies. I didn't mean to be rude but I was surprised to see this was done in an expedited manner which benefits everyone. In my opinion this how government should work, I just rarely see it happen.

Anonymous said...

Mike Harpool Is the man!!!!! He is a warrior! He does not let he legs stop him from doing anything. He is a great dad. Great artical.

Anonymous said...

I have one problem with the picture of Fernando and Mike. It looks like Fernando's right is a little low.

Anonymous said...

11:32 Maybe there are people currently in government who agree with you about how things should work and are doing their best to make good things happen. That's what true public service is all about.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like Carl Anderton is the one who got things cooking.

Credit where credit is due.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE DELMAR!!

Anonymous said...

People like Carl Anderton, are the reason that "vote them all out" mentality is dead wrong. There really are some (perhaps few?) people that take their positions as public servants seriously. Carl does his job joyfully and skillfully. My only complaint is that he is serving us in the County Council or statehouse! He'd certainly be an upgrade... maybe one day?

Anonymous said...

And let's hear it for the Principal...see....Nunzio isn't really a jerk after all!

Anonymous said...

Actually Joe I'm sorry but I heard that the principal didn't have anything to do with it. The VP Mr. Miller was the one that helped to make it happen.