Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, April 26, 2010

Dawn Mitchell: The Little Giant Of The Eastern Shore


As many of you know by now, Dawn Mitchell passed away of a massive stroke Friday afternoon.

Dawn Mitchell was the glue that kept Channel 47 News together. She was caring, compassionate, giving, happy, friendly, outgoing and could light up any room she walked into.

Dawn worked at Channel 47 News WMDT for 22 years. Her Husband Freddie has also been with 47 News for 11 years. Together they fought unbelievable battles being both Mother and Father to literally hundreds of young people trying to make a go of it in their Industry.

I have personally known Dawn and Freddie for several years now and while we initially had our differences in the beginning, we came to respect each other and ultimately became good friends over time. I worked hand in hand with Dawn on many local stories, the biggest one was the Salisbury Waste Water Treatment Plant. As I'm sure many of you can share several stories of your experiences with Dawn in the past, she will truly be missed by all of the living she touched throughout her lifetime.

It came as a massive shock when I came to learn how bad things were. The feeling of helplessness angered me. There was simply nothing anyone could do. My deepest sympathies go out to Freddie and their Children. One can only imagine the pain they are experiencing.

The Staff at 47 News are not only experiencing a massive loss, they are trying their very best to keep things moving along and quite frankly Folks, this is an almost impossible task emotionally and physically.

We are expecting to get a funeral announcement some time today as many of you have e-mailed me for such information. We will make it available just as soon as we get it.

To my Friends at 47 News, may God be with you all. Dawn is in a beautiful place right now and as my Mom told me hours before she passed, "I'm going home." Welcome home Dawn.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen Joe, Well written! It is hard so see someone so vibrant be sent home so early. For she is now up there with her dear mother looking down with love at Jessi and Jeana as they prepare for their Graduations. RIP Dawn, you will be missed!

victoria said...

I was one of dawn's news anchors for four years and she helped hundreds of hundreds of young people get their first break into television news. it is a hugh loss for the Delmarva Community.I miss you boss lady, Victoria Gaither

Anonymous said...

I worked as a meteorologist for Dawn from the summer of 2004 to the fall of 2005 and she will always be remembered by me as fun, caring, and compassionate.

We, at 47, faced many challenges. However, Dawn always pushed forward and made everyone feel that they were part of the family.

I loved my time on Delmarva and working with Dawn.

Freddie, my thoughts and prayers go out to you and the girls.

Anthony Peoples

Anonymous said...

I graduated high school with Dawn. This is a big shock. We had a lot of great times together. A lot of good memories that I will always treasure.

Unknown said...

Dawn's passing is a great loss to the community. She was always kind to me even though part of the competition. Her smile and quick wit were her hallmarks. My deepest sympathy to her family and her TV family. May you find strength during this difficult time.

Dennis Ketterer