Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, December 24, 2009

A True Christmas Story

Last night, my sisters, my nieces and nephews, my brother-in-laws, my children and myself, went Christmas Caroling in Easton. This is a family tradition.

We noticed a car pass a couple times, but never really thought much about it. We were up at a house singing when this same car pulled up and stopped. We were coming down the drive-way when the door of the car opened up. Out of the car stepped a US Soldier, in full military uniform.

He had just returned from a tour in Afghanistan. He said that things like carolers and lights and so forth were things he really had missed. He thanked us for spreading the Christmas spirit.

He then asked us to sing for him. He asked for Silent Night, which was my mother’s favorite Christmas Song (she passed away the day after Christmas a few years ago.)

We sang Silent Night through our tears as well as a couple more songs for him. He attempted to pay us for singing, which we quickly declined. We told him he had already more than paid us. We all hugged him and thanked him.

We continued to sing carols around the neighborhood. He passed by a couple of times blowing the horn and waving.

I will never forget this experience. It has warmed my heart and made me very thankful for what I have.

God bless our soldiers!

Merry Christmas to everyone.

Sandy Eure

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful story in a beautiful town.

Anonymous said...

GOD BLESS OUR SOLDIERS!

Anonymous said...

God bless our soldiers, and you and your family for still remembering the true meaning of Christmas.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the heart warming story as opposed to the heart breaking story. We all need this.

Anonymous said...

Remember, it is the small gifts, those from the heart, that are best remembered and best given.

Get out of the mall!