The White House is preparing a much-anticipated plan to have President Donald Trump declare a national emergency at the southern border, CNN reported Thursday evening.
The report stated that under the draft plan, more than $7 billion could be allocated to build a barrier at the U.S. southern border. CNN cited what it claimed was a portion of the draft presidential proclamation, “The massive amount of aliens who unlawfully enter the United States each day is a direct threat to the safety and security of our nation and constitutes a national emergency.”
The report cited more of what it said was wording included in a version of the draft that a U.S. official told the outlet was updated at least last week, “Now, therefore, I, Donald J. Trump, by the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, including the National Emergencies Act (50 U.S.C 1601, et seq.), hereby declare that a national emergency exists at the southern border of the United States.”