Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Sunday, March 25, 2018

Pecans Fight Heart Disease and Diabetes

Eating just a small handful of pecans a day may protect overweight and obese adults against developing cardiovascular disease and Type 2 diabetes, according to a study published in Nutrients.

Researchers at the Jean Mayer USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging at Tufts University found that incorporating about one-and-a-half ounces of pecans into a typical American diet significantly improved insulin sensitivity and had a marked effect on markers of cardio-metabolic disease in overweight and obese adults with excess belly fat.

While many studies have linked tree nuts, such as pecans, walnuts, and almonds, to a reduced risk of heart disease, this was the first study to look at the effect of pecans on factors specifically related to Type 2 diabetes. Obesity is a risk factor for Type 2 diabetes, and both obesity and diabetes increase the risk for heart disease.

More here
[So does this mean that pecan rolls can be considered 'health food?' :-) --Editor]

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like to snack on the mixed assortment, but when I get to the bottom I have left are deez.

Stu Stinchfield said...

I had a big hard shell pecan tree in my yard that I took down(they are difficult to shell) several years ago. I recently found out that there are several varities of paper shell pecans that will grow well on the eastern shore and even farther north.I bought 2 pecan trees on line and planted them about a week ago,I'm not sure if they will make it or not but I am going to buy some more.It takes about 7 years befor they produce any nuts.I'm in my early eightys so I probably won't see any nuts but I would like to leave something behind that people could actually use. I also plan to plant a bunch of blue berry bushes and some peach trees.I wish I had done it 20 years ago.If you have a little room plant some fruit and nut trees in a few years I think you will be glad you did.

Anonymous said...

Times have changed.We used to love it when our parents brought home bags of walnuts,pecans,and the mixed bags of nuts of all types.Then for the next few weeks our mother would complain about the mess we made.No one had to be told to eat nuts,and they were in the shell & had no salt.Those were good times.

Anonymous said...

Only if you pick the pecans out, eat them, then feed the rest to the squirrels and birds.