Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, January 31, 2018

The NFL's super mistake: Turning down a pro-national anthem commercial from a veterans group

AMVETS recently submitted a powerful Super Bowl ad to the NFL asking the country to stand for our National Anthem. It depicts a veteran holding the American Flag with the words #PleaseStand.

But the NFL is refusing to run it. This is a giant mistake — for the league, the sport and our country.

As a matter of disclosure, I should tell you that I am a football guy. I started playing football as a child growing up in a blue-collar family with my single mom, and continued to play through high school and college. I was a middle linebacker, and to be honest, I still think like one. I’ve got Indianapolis Colts gear for every season and my whole family schedules our time around Colts games. The Messers are football fans.

But the NFL has not made me proud as a fan lately. For nearly a year, the country has watched the NFL act as a megaphone for the left’s "Take a Knee" protests. They have given airtime and a massive public platform to their athletes who’ve chosen to kneel during the anthem and disrespect our flag, our country and our military. The commissioner and many NFL owners bent over backwards to accommodate that political speech.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is exactly why I feel strongly that The NFL "can take their football and shove it where the sun does't shine". I am through with them, as much as I love football, I love our Great Country, veterans and police officers more! I have quit watching any NFL football and will not be watching the Super Bowl and their criminal low life thugs.

Anonymous said...

The NFL is racist time for XFL to replace it.

Anonymous said...

9:29-And don't you be sneaking in the living room and turning on the Super Bowl because we WILL know.

Anonymous said...

What's to watch? Tom Brady wins again. Whoopty-doo. It would be like watch Fast and the Furious 9 and asking, "Gee, will Vin Diesel punch someone and then win a car race?" Booooring...

Anonymous said...

The NFL knows that the brainless idiots that follow football will still tune in to watch no matter what. People can't stick together and really make a difference. I am the only one in my group of friends that has sworn off football till they stand for our flag and anthem. The rest of my stupid friends watched the Eagles game, and are planning a Stupid-bowl party, not me, "NFL can go to Hell" !

Anonymous said...

You Know, I am Sick and Tired of the NFL putting up with these Crybabies who won't stand up during our National Anthem. If the NFL wishes to condone these Crybabies and disrespect our Military, I will not watch the NFL Any Longer. Therefore, I do not care what the NFL is going to have at its Stupid Bowl, because I won't be watching, anyway. The NFL stands for Not ForAmericans League.

Anonymous said...

I stopped caring about football when the Colts left Baltimore in the middle of the night!